Hanging in there

I liked this for the root that’s such a prominent part of the tree, as well as the shadows in the foreground. Don’t usually post in landscape, so any suggestions for improvement would be great.
Taken at Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument in New Mexico. A great hike, but get there early as the trail becomes a freeway fairly quickly.

Also, note the petroglyphs in the background. Not sure as to age or what culture made them.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; 24-105 at 24 mm. 1/40 f10; ISO 100

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Allen,

Great find! and great capture, composition. “Hanging in there?” is quite appropriate. I also thought of “flourishing” because that pine/juniper? looks pretty darn healthy.

I think you handled the light and processing well. Nothing to be to critical of here, but a couple of minor suggestions. Since this is about the root as well as the cool shadows, you might consider a small crop off the top removing the darker trunk and upper bow. No biggie, but the story is the lower half really. You might burn down the sandstone at the bottom; at least a little but not so much you take away from the neat shadows. Lastly, if you ever print or anything beyond here you might want to crop/clone the little intruding green branch tips on the left edge. Minor stuff.

That’s a great tree!

Lon

1 Like

Before I read Lon’s post, I was thinking the same thing: crop off the top to emphasize the root and the petroglyph. So two of x viewers prefer… I’m not sure the topmost branches add anymore than “tree-ness” to the image and we get that from them lower branches and roots. Great find and really cooled juxtapositions! That for sharing!
ML

1 Like

Alan, I love the tenacity of this tree, it makes for a great subject. The tree abides, and this image tells a nice story about it. And the petroglyphs are a nice touch too. I agree with @Lon_Overacker and @Marylynne_Diggs about the crop of the top. I also think you can tweak the image by adding vignetting to darken the edges and bring more attention to the center of the image. And I would suggest cloning away the small bits of green leaves along the left edge of the frame, they are a minor distraction. Here is a rework reflecting my comments.

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk, I think the crop works. Can’t believe I overlooked the green on the left-definitely needs to go. Thanks again.

I really like what @Ed_McGuirk did. This is a very nice find. The light is a little harsh but it doesn’t really bother me. I think it accentuates the texture better.

1 Like