Putting Down Roots

In keeping with a recent theme of mine-finding images of an isolated element amidst a larger scene-here is a solitary pine tree in one of the sandstone terraces in Zion NP. I find it truly amazing how these life forms can take root and survive in this environment, and I think it makes for a cool image.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Looking for general feedback on this image regarding technical issues or the feelings the image imparts on those viewing it. Thanks.

Technical Details

Canon 70D, 70-300mm lens @187mm
f/7.1, 1/800sec, ISO 200
Processed in Lightroom

4 Likes

Hi Ted, I’m pretty sure I have a pic of that same tree. Awesome. I like the color balance you have here. It works well for me at least. I think the comp is good too, as the tree is flowing into the frame and parallels the red rock lines. I think it could stand a bit of brightening, but that’s a minor thing. Terrific image.

1 Like

Thanks David. I think we’re not the only ones who have photographed this tree. I think I will reprocess this image and brighten it up a little.

2 Likes

I love the story here too!
The color balance feels a little off to me - the green in the tree looks a tad yellow so I wonder if its a bit on the warm side of things globally?

1 Like

Hey Matt-I took both your suggestion and David’s and both lightened the photo and adjusted the color balance. What do you think?

2 Likes

The second version - brighter and better color balanced - is a home run. I’m a sucker for trees, but especially gnarly ones growing in places they shouldn’t. The diagonal lines in the sandstone give this such a dynamic feel and I enjoy how the top of the little tree kind of leans the same way as the cracks in the rock. Gorgeous! I would also be interested in seeing a b&w version of this, with lots of clarity and texture, and heavy contrast. Not saying the color version isn’t killer - becaus it is!

3 Likes

Nailed it sir.

Yes, the repost looks great! I was going to suggest the same thing because in the original the needles of the tree blending in with the rocks too much but looks like you addressed this.

Ted,

I really like what you’ve seen and captured here. There is most definitely a classic nature story being told - vegetation growing out of seemingly impossible locations; persevearance, persistance, strength, courage, all those descriptions associated with this story of nature.

Agree with the others and so great job on the rework. I’m wondering if working from the RAW file that the needles could be even less yellow, more piney-green. But then I wasn’t there and this could very well be close to what you saw and experienced.

I’m wondering if you have any frames that are backed out a little and include more of the rock? There’s certainly enough space around as the little tree doesn’t feel crowded at all. I’m just wondering if more surroundings were included that the nature story might be even a little stronger; ie. the more rock, the more mystery as to how this tree could have ever even started growing here. Minor thought.

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to consider the comments and post the edit.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks Lon. I’m glad you appreciate the story this image is telling. I don’t have any other shots that show more of the rocks, but I see how that could have more of an impact.

Nailed it with the repost, Ted! For me this image is all about survival and tenacity . Makes me wonder how the pine tree manages to gather any moisture. The diagonal striations in the rock face also work well for this desert landscape. My only suggestion; and this is being super picky; would be to clone out the dark line a little more than half way up the left edge as it does catch my eye a little. Beautifully done!