Lone Pine W/Edit

Original

Cropped Version

Please click twice for larger version

This image was taken in Capital Reef National Park. I took a short hike down a narrow canyon and found this Lone Pine eking out a living in a grouping of boulders. I waited until there was no direct light hitting the scene. There was another canyon wall directly behind me about 40 yards away casting warm reflected light on the image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is there enough color? This is only slightly processed.
Is there enough contrast?
Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon Z7, 24-70 z lens, 37mm, 1/25, ISO 100, F/11

2 Likes

David, I recognized the characteristic Southern Utah look here. This has to be seen large to really appreciate it. I think the color is great. I wouldn’t add any more contrast at all…

I think this tells a great story and that back wall is a terrific backdrop for the tree. I also see another comp where the bottom is cropped so that the tree is more grounded in the frame. That probably tells a different story though.

Nice work, David.

This is very “Capitol Reef” to me. I like the separation between the foreground rock and the far wall. I think this is very well executed, David.

The tree against the red rocks would have died but in the position that you chose is splendid. I love the image David.

David,
I am very much enjoying the earthtones in this desert landscape. Your placement of the pine in the notch of the FG rock is perfect IMO as is it’s slightly off center location. The large version is a real treat BTW.

I totally concur with the thoughts of others. The low contrast and subdued lighting is a real plus for the scene. Plenty of color, I think.
Tremendously enjoyable.

I wondered if the ratio of rock to tree were decreased, might the tree be even stronger. I tried a vertical pano with the tree slightly to left of center, and that was an interesting variation. Also the attached, which I’d argue let’s the tree and viewer’s eye gaze down the canyon. Lightened the foliage a little to get a tad more texture.

i like the nature story here, it comes across very clearly. No I would not add more contrast, reflected light is soft light, and I think you have done a good job of capturing that. My only suggested tweak would be a slight burning of the highlights to the immediate right of the tree, i think it might make the tree stand out better.

Hi @David_Haynes ,
This is such a beautiful tree, standing out nicely against the softer (complementary?) warmer colors of the walls. As someone said, it really jumps out at me when looked at full size on my computer, vs. on my puny little iPhone. I find myself agreeing with Dick, that the tree’s details (that gnarly trunk at the base, and the details you caught in those leaves and limbs) and beauty is made more evident when the image is cropped in, for me as much as up to 20-25% or so. The leaves and details really stand out for my taste. BUT, I think you wanted to show more of the environment, which is your vision, so my taste doesn’t really matter that much!

Beautiful natural looking image. I like the downward perspective in this image. When you look past the tree your eyes go down the canyon somewhat. I think both the original and Dick’s version work for me although I favor Dick’s a bit more. I looked at my tree from the same general area and realized how much farther I took the colors than you did.
https://community.naturephotographers.network/t/classic-utah/22865
It’s certainly a lesson for me.

Thank you @David_Bostock , @Igor_Doncov , @Adhika_Lie , @Ed_McGuirk , @Ed_Lowe , @Mark_Muller , @Dick_Knudson , @Giuseppe_Guadagno for your comments. I’m sorry I’m just now getting back to you all. It’s been a busy week at work and at home.
I’m glad that you all enjoyed this image. I agree with all of you that the minimal processing was likely best for the naturally reflected light on this scene. These canyons just glow with natural lighting and when reflected on the opposite wall, things can get really warm very quickly. I tend to want to make things pop but it just didn’t seem natural looking to my eye when I added in some contrast and vibrance in my first rendition.
Thank you @Dick_Knudson for your rendition and take on this scene and after reading Igor’s and @Mark_Muller comments, you really got me thinking about the crop and making the tree stand out more and I must admit, I like your version better. When I get home tonight I may even take it one step further and attempt a 4x5 or even a square crop to further isolate the tree and also tone down the highlights that @Ed_McGuirk mentioned.
What I loved about this particular tree was the gnarled, curved base of the trunk, and the fact that it has lived through at least one fire with the scars to show for it. The little branches coming off the base of the trunk to the left are all blackened. This little tree is a survivor!
The other thing that initially caught my attention was the deep red boulders the tree is growing out of compared to the wall behind it. I thought it contrasted nicely with the more muted colors on the wall.
Thanks again!

1 Like