Lone Tree in Teton NP

2nd New Version: Expanded image on both sides to add more negative space and expand minimalism perspective.

New Version: changed crop slightly and removed hedge in background

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The things that excited me about this scene were the 1) lone tree, 2) the blue in the horizon, 3) the simplicity of the scene, the tones in the tree, and 4) the presence of the mountains. The scene looks nice in black and white as well, however, I opted for color because of the blue and the colors in the tree. I would love any general feedback.

Specific Feedback

I would like feedback on the composition. The image was taken as a panorama and I have more mountains on the left and the right. On the right are the Tetons, but they are block at the top by clouds. I put the tree at one third and the snow at one third. I felt that had a nice balance to it.

Technical Details

This image was taken without a tripod as I was standing with my snowshoes in about a foot and a half of snow.
Canon R5, Canon EF L 70-200mm F2.8 lens, portrait mode and stitched images together
Settings: ISO 320, 142mm, f/11, 1/1600 sec.
Processed in lightroom and photoshop. I removed small stems from snow in foreground.

1 Like

@Willemd, this is a wonderful image. I’ve been to the Teton area numerous times. But never this deep in a winter snow blanket… :cowboy_hat_face:
The only thought for change would be to remove the tops of the trees poking up along the distant drop off. I think that drops to the Snake River area there. Anyway, an easy redo for another look. Just a personal taste idea there… :thinking:

1 Like

Alexander,

Fantastic composition. I love the simplicity and the crisp clean fell of it. If I was to change anything, I would crop a bit from the right side keeping a 3:2 ratio as it feels like the tree to too centered in the frame. Or I would crop from both sides to a 5:4 ratio. See these crops.

1 Like

Thank you @Paul_LeSage @Youssef_Ismail for your very helpful comments! I have added an updated image above.

Enchanting the way the minimalism focuses that tree. I really like your update.

1 Like

Thank you for your comment! I was at this same place around a year earlier and it was then that I learned I needed snow shoes to traverse the area. Also at that time, I took the picture as I really loved the scene. However, it was a much better image this time. I believe in part it was because of the blue tones of the sky and the yellow/browns in the tree. I believe this really ‘focuses that tree’ and makes it stand out.

1 Like

Incredible. It’s visual poetry. I prefer your original over the crops as it emphasizes the loneliness. It makes a statement. I also like it because space is an important element to this statement. As space is reduced, so is the impact.

It’s simple and elegant. I guess it’s what they call minimalistic. It’s beauty lies in it’s reduction to the simplest forms.

1 Like

Wow. This is a really beautifully captured image and I can feel the cold and the loneliness. This is what minimalism is all about. I agree with @Igor_Doncov about wanting and needing that empty space that gives it that minimalist feel. If you have even more canvas, I would include it as well. I don’t think the black and white would give you the cold feeling that this gives off but that’s just a guess. I love the blues by the way. I really can’t offer any way to improve this.

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my image. I really appreciate the ‘out of the box’ thinking that you and @Igor_Doncov have communicated here. This was actually taken as a panorama. I have lots more pixels to add! I will attempt another version shortly.

1 Like

I love the panorama and what you did to the snow to brighten it up although I’m missing that blue as well as the soft atmospherics in the first post. Maybe something in between?? I would also crop off the little bright patch of snow on the right edge at the base of the mountains, It grabs the eye.

1 Like

Thank you @David_Haynes for revisiting this image! In my haste I hadn’t noticed the things you pointed out. I actually started from a different set of merged images. This time I went back to the original version and tried to take some of the blue out of the snow in the foreground. I also removed the section that had the white snow patch on the far right of the screen. I didn’t do anything to recover the soft atmospherics as I wasn’t too sure what you meant and they should already be present in this version of the image. (I replaced the version of the image that you commented on with this new version).

1 Like

Honestly, I think you were better off with the bluer snow. The bright snow diminishes the tree somewhat. The tones aren’t as balanced now. Maybe the yellow leaves should be made brighter to compensate for the white snow.

1 Like