Lone tree in b;ack and white

Specific Feedback Requested

Any ideas to improve this image are very welcome!!!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
I changed the sky.

Hi Paul, Welcome to NPN!

This is a great first post. B&W works quite well here too. The tree leaning towards the edge of the frame would normally draw my eye out of the image, but it doesn’t here. Nice. The changed sky works except for the upper left corner which seems a bit “digital.” The tree, mountains and rocks are excellent. I hope to see more of your work here soon.

Thanks so very much for the feedback! Truly apppreciate it!!!

I really enjoy the strong contrast in this image and the tree nicely balances the higher hill on the left. I agree with David though about the sky in the upper left corner looking strange.

Welcome to NPN Paul, glad to have you aboard. Both the scene and the type of light lend themselves to a B&W treatment. The tree has a a very interesting and graphic shape, and makes for a great subject.

Others have commented on the tonality in the sky. It’s not just that the upper left corner(ULC) sky
is too dark, rather it’s the tonality of the sky is uneven from left to right. This might have been caused by using a polarizing filter and a wide lens, uneven sky tonality is a common problem in that situation. I also think the shape of the tree would stand out more if the sky on the right was darker, an dlooked more like how it does on the left. I hope you don’t mind, but i did a rework trying to balance the sky luminosity from left to right. You would be able to a better job of this from the raw file, but my rework is more for illustration. I also added some edge darkening to draw more attention to the center of the image.

I’ve been looking at this for a few days and wondering if anyone would make the following comment. To me, the tree looks massive compared to the rocks around it. Is that my imagination or was the tree added to the image from somewhere else? Those pinnacles look like they should be quite large yet the tree dwarfs them. Yet all the branches on the ground suggest it really does belong there. It’s a strange visual effect. Overall, I do like the way the tree and everything seems to want to go upward to the left.

Nope…the tree in my image is totally real with no size alteration. My major alteration was changing the sky.

1 Like

Thankjs so very much! There is something funky about the sky and your suggestions were very useful.All feedback is so welcome!!!