Tommy's Tree +2nd

Edit: Thanks everyone for the comments. Much appreciated. Amazing how b&w can transform an image and convert it to it’s simplest form.

Another tree image from a morning shoot a couple weeks ago in the hills near home. This is one of my “go-to” trees and I’ve posted this one a couple of other times here.

For some reason, this reminds me of a scene from the classic, “The Grapes of Wrath.” Near the end Tom Joad says goodbye to Ma and is seen walking along a hill top. In the movie, there’s no tree and no clouds to speak of, but still reminds me anyway…

Thanks for any comments!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing of course. Comments, suggestions welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Comments welcome.

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800E 28-300mm @58mm f/16 iso200
PS CC, Nik Silver EFex Pro2 for b&w conversion

@John_Williams, thanks for your comment. Yes, I had some closer and even wider takes on this scene. I had to tweak this one a bit in PS to get squeeze a bit more contrast and drama in the sky. Not a crop, just a different image shot a few minutes later.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great image. Make it large on a wall.

Excellent processing. The subtle foreground is just right, and I like the drama in the sky. I’m trying to convince myself about the tree being such a small part of the composition though; I’d love to compare this with an image where the tree is more prominent.

Hmmmm… :slight_smile:

I like this a lot, Lon. Very powerful mood and quite dramatic. Great sky and the tree adds a lot to the scene. Most enjoyable.

Lon, movies spring to mind many times when certain images have a recall or maybe just need a title for a photo. Seems to work for me a lot…:clown_face:

This is a super image. Not one of your usual YNP or eastern sierra style takes, but certainly one of your best IMVHO. Just a excellent scene that will make a wonderful print I’m sure…:+1:
Any isolated tree seems to garner a thought of like many isolated rock formations. How in the world do they get there? …:thinking:

The sky in this image is the subject and the tree the exclamation point. B&w conversion works well with all that detail and tonal range. Would make a striking print.

Amazing sky and perfect for BW. Well composed with pleasing lines.

That’s an awesome sky, Lon. The tiny, lone tree and mimicry in the land set it of perfectly.

Both are excellent but present different moods. The sky in the original is amazing and I much prefer that post, but both work very well.

Lon, I automatically prefer horizontal over vertical, except, here. They’re both excellent and will make wonderful prints. Not sure why my choice gravitates towards the vertical, but it works best for me at this time…:sunglasses:

Lon - really like the juxtaposition of the simplicity of this image against a busy / dramatic sky. The vertical image is excellent. Wondering how the sky would look substantially softer while retaining the tonal qualities? Might be interesting to run it through Nik color efx with the classical soft focus filter for a different take. It might place the emphasis of the image more on your go to tree which I really like the shape of.

I love the simplicity here, Lon. This is a great case of less is more. I am going with the vertical because even though the clouds try to steal the show they would not have the same impact without that lovely tree anchoring the scene. I do not think you could go wrong with either version. Superb B&W conversion BTW.

Sorry for not catching this sooner @Lon_Overacker! Both are very nice, and the comparison is very helpful. The sweet spot for me would be the vertical, with the tree just a little larger. Nice work!