Old tree

WThis is a converted color, how does the B&W work.hat technical feedback would you like if any?

Overall composition What artistic feedback would you like if any?

##Canon 7D MII, Tamron 18-400mm @ 27mm
1/500 @ F-18 ISO 400 Any pertinent technical details: Got a break in the storms, took a chance to find a subject in the light. Very windy, later that day 7 tornados in the region.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Welcome to NPN John, this is a nice first post. The light and clouds are very dramatic, and lend themselves to a B&W conversion. I like your processing, the exposure and contrast look good, and you have a nice range of tones in the image. The diagonal tilt of the tree is also very dynamic. My only suggestion for improvement relates to things along the edge of the frame. In the lower right corner there is a small bright tree that creates a distraction in the otherwise dark area, I would consider cloning it away. I also wish the tree in the lower left corner was not cut off, I would have preferred to see all of it. Maybe you have a wider view of this and could re-crop. These are relatively minor nitpicks though, this is a pretty dynamic B&W image.

Hi John,

This is unique and quite interesting. I say that because it’s unusual to see a tree span the dark and light - and mostly dark part of the frame. And the tree is quite unique as well - possible a victim of drought or lightening strike? For me, I also got the impression of nostalgia; like maybe there would be an old buckboard or rusty plow. But also because there’s a bit of graininess to the clouds on the darker right side. This is pretty cool. Good job with the contrast and b&w.

I would agree with Ed on cloning the small vertical in the LRC and maybe cloning the two small branches along the top. Otherwise, this looks great as presented.

Lon

Thank you for your comments Ed, but I have been a NPN member for over 9 years! Just have not posted much since the format changed.

Thanks Lon, I am working on another version of this scene, will post it soon, maybe in color. thanks for your comments.

Oh, I really like this image. It has that Wuthering Heights dark brooding sense to it. I love those branches intruding into the frame which add to the atmosphere you’ve created here. It’s a fine image in my opinion. I wouldn’t sweat the small stuff.

Great mood and scene. I would clone out the small branches coming in from the top near center, but otherwise looks good to me. Nice unusual image.