An Old Friend

This image is similar to one I posted on the old NPN site. I have photographed this particular tree at sunset on a couple of occasions while in Shenandoah NP, VA. I have always loved the character of the tree and the way the one branch mimics the mountainside. Sadly it is no longer standing.:cry: I tend to process my images dark so I was wondering how this one appears to everyone?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D200, Tokina 12-24 @ 24 mm, f 16 @ 1/80 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Itā€™s a great image, and I like your processing. I dont think itā€™s too dark. I like how the left branch mirrors the clouds and land as much as the right one. My one comment would be that the cut off top and left branches of the silhouette make the image feel abstract in a way, but the right branch ending before the end of the frame breaks that abstraction, if that makes any sense? Iā€™d see if I could somehow get all the main branches to end in the frame, or none of them to. But thatā€™s just what Iā€™d try, and itā€™s a totally beautiful image as-is!

There are a lot of interesting elements in this scene. The tree has great lines and character and I definitely see what you were going for with how the branch on the right follows the curve of the hillside. The light is also sweet and I think that it works well to have the tree in silhouette as this emphasizes its form.

I have to admit that Iā€™m not quite as sure about the composition. I can see what you are going for, but I canā€™t help but wonder if this would be stronger with a bit wider angle of view so as to include the whole tree. Of course I donā€™t know what kind of framing limitations you were dealing with.

Just seeing the thumbnail, I was going to say it was too dark, but the larger image looks just fine to me. I like the silhoeuted ( dang I knew I didnā€™t spell that right ) tree and thereā€™s just enough light on the hill to bring out the trees. I also like the sun rays in the BG. @Brian_Schrayer and @fwolanski, in case Ed doesnā€™t get back for awhile I will answer in regard to the comp. This tree is very hard to shoot. If you have all the branches touching the edges, the comp is too tight. If you have space all around them, your shot is too wide with too much sky. This is a compromise.
:vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

Many thanks @fwolanski, @Brian_Schrayer and @Michael_Lowe for taking the time to leave your thoughts. They are always appreciated. My brother pretty well summed up the limitations of shooting the tree. I will have to find another tree for some sunset compositions since this one has fallen.

1 Like

This one works well. I donā€™t find it too dark. I would have agree about the branches being cutoff, but read about the composing limitations. It is not an image killer by any means though. A nice capture never to be repeated.

Love this! Yes, the whole tree would be nice but not sure how wide you would have had to go to get it. That may have not worked at all and what you have works beautifully. This is wonderful.

I love everything about this image EXCEPT, unlike the others, it does seem a bit dark, or better put, seems to lack contrast. I would like to see more contrast between the dark tree/FG and the distant sky. Because itā€™s so easy to do that now at NPN2, I did it. I tend to like it better but, of course, YMMV. I have attached my rework along with your original for comparison.

Ed,

Without comment, a terrific sunset image. A great silhouette of the tree against and great sunset sky.

Iā€™ve never used this before, but itā€™s a ā€œdamned if you do, damned if you donā€™tā€ situation regarding the cut off vs. non- cut off limbs. I think you have a good compromise here. I was wishing for an all or nothing - either no cut off limbs, or all of them. My attempt below I donā€™t think solves that, but shows the one extremeā€¦

In the end, I think the only thing I would suggest would be a big boost in vibrance; thereā€™s not too much in terms of primary colors, so vibrance would be the trick.

I think going the other direction and leaving space for each limb would work betterā€¦