Sketched In

This photo was taken on the same snowy morning as my first post from last week. There are a bunch of trees on this chain of hills on which these trees sit. This particular tree barely stands on its own, with trees fairly close on either side of it. In order to isolate the tree, I needed to shot vertical and pretty tight on the subject.

This is one of the photos I’m most happy with from the morning, but I wanted to hear feedback on the image to see if anything could be improved. After the discussion had on my last post I thought I would try my hand at processing this image in color as well to do a little comparison.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback is welcome.

B/W vs. color

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Shot at 1/40 sec., F/6.3, 78 mm, ISO 100

Like the other image, I intentionally overexposed the photo in the field, and in post, I increased the whites and added contrast to the tree.

Also, this tree is situated on the slope of the hill, causing it to be naturally leaning over to the left. To correct this, I simply adjusted my camera in the field to make the tree stand straight in the frame instead of slanted over.

Color version:

6 Likes

Awesome! I love the purity of the B/W. Another gorgeous pencil drawing – 11/10!

This is very nice. I love the composition here ( altough is a little tigh).
I absolutely prefer the color version; it has the drama of B/W , with some color subtlety.

Love it.

1 Like

Simple and beautiful. No nits here. I equally like both versions. They just convey a slightly different feeling to me. Very well done.

I prefer the color version but it’s not due to the color. The branches and tree trunk seem to look a bit fuller, less sparse in that version. I prefer that aspect of it. It’s not a big difference.

1 Like

Another lovely image Vincent. If I had to choose between this and your initial post, I’d choose the prior; the use of negative space in that one was brilliant. With that said, if I hadn’t seen the first post I’d have no nits with this one. That’s a wonderful tree, and the minimalist approach works oh so well for it. I like both versions, with maybe the slightest edge to the color.

Although both images are lovely this is another vote for the colour version. It adds a little more warmth which makes it more appealing to my eye. Lovely work Vincent!

1 Like

@Diane_Miller @joaoquintela @Harley_Goldman @Igor_Doncov @John_Williams @Bill_Crich

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback and the kind comments!

I absolutely love this photo! It looks like a pencil drawing! I love the softness of the grasses coming through the snow! And the way the snow has blown on the one side of the tree adds a story of the storm that has happened. I think the color is my favorite too because everything seems to stand out more from the background!

Vincent, similar to your prior post, both the B&W and color images are great, but my preference is for color. The subtle color in the grasses adds a little something extra to the image. This is a wonderfully shaped tree for this type of image, great find. I also think the branches in the color version look a little crisper (which i like), so you must have slightly changed contrast as well. I actually prefer the prior post to this one, I liked the gentle curve in the horizon better, as opposed to the flat horizon here.

Wow! This is another beauty, Vincent. You certainly can not go wrong with either version IMO. This is so clean and simple with nothing but what is needed for a beautifully conceived image. Thanks for sharing.

@Vanessa_Hill @Ed_McGuirk @Ed_Lowe

Thank you all for your comments!

The branches standing out more in the color version was an agreed-upon finding from everyone, and I also have to agree with the statement. I actually pulled down the sky’s brightness just a tad in the color version, making the branches a little bit less washed out compare to the B/W version.

Brilliant! Well seen.

I love the simplicity of the composition. Had I not seen the color version, b&w seemed the perfect treatment for this image.