Shenandoah Sunset

Below: Edit using ideas suggested by @Keenan_Wadsworth

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was taken from Skyline drive in Shenandoah National Park at “The Point” lookout. The image looks west towards the Shenandoah River valley and beyond. A lot of the time you only a ridge or so and the rest is hazy, but this night was quite clear (but as a result no real clouds in the sky).

Specific Feedback

I’d like general feedback on the image.

I liked the sense of depth from the ridge lines, and the mist rolling up from the valley. But I wasn’t sure that the rock in the FG, and the FG in general, anchors the image well. So there isn’t really a central focus. But maybe that’s ok. Are the repeating ridge lines enough as a focus?

Technical Details

Sony A7riv 40mm FL f/8 at iso 320.
Processed in both LR and PS with global exposure, contrast and saturation adjustments as well as some local masked adjustments. Some minor cloning in PS to deal with distracting branches.

1 Like

Nice shot, but I feel the rock adds nothing to the image. The layered ridge lines to me are the focus of the image and the boulder makes your eye skip between the mountains and the rock leading the viewer to not know what the focus is. JMHO

@Michael_Lowe Thanks for the comment. I’ve played with a similar crop myself, and prefer it in many ways.

-Will

1 Like

Hi Will, I love this photo! As far as my experience viewing the image goes, I would definitely say that the rock in the foreground is a crucial part of the composition and provides a great starting point for the viewer to begin wandering through the many layers and intricacies of your composition.

I like how you show the immediate nature of the mountains with the rock and foliage, then how your image leads the viewer to the next mountainside with the light illuminating the different textures and colours of the forest canopy, which leads my eye to explore the rest of the valley and eventually to marvel at the rich horizon colours. You have conveyed a terrific sense of depth in the image.

As for what I would change with the image, there do seem to be a couple dust spots in the top left of the image are slightly distracting and may benefit from being cloned out. I would also consider lowering the luminance of the foliage in the foreground as the brightness does seem slightly bright and thus distracting compared to the rest of the image. Finally, while the composition itself feels perfectly balanced, I would maybe experiment with cropping some of the right side of the image out as I find my eye spends more time on the left side of the image, where the light illuminates the hillside in the midground.

Will,

This is an eye-catching photograph, even though the simplicity would suggest otherwise. The clarity and the sharpness as well as the rich colors really hold my attention. I would not change a thing.

@Keenan_Wadsworth , Thank you for the detailed comments. I’ve tried to take what you suggested and made a new version above. I think toning down the foreground definitely helps. I’m still undecided on whether the tighter crop from the right is best. I also fixed the dust spot.

@Youssef_Ismail Thanks for the kind words

-Will

1 Like

Will, I too think the mountains just under the sunset sky are the subject of the image. My take, is to crop both the foreground rocks and some of lovely yellow-orange sky. I think the sky competes too much with the mountains. You might want to tinker with eliminating even more sky to suit your vision. What do you think of the panoramic crop?

or consider even more of a panorama:

1 Like

Will, the movement of color from the greens, blues, and golden sky give depth the the picture. It makes it exciting and tells the story of a great expanse. Larry’s panoramic crop helps move the eye away from the bolder and bright foliage in the foreground. It emphasizes the vastness of the view and the play of colors with a more seamless progression of color and texture.

1 Like