Sherrard Point Sunset

copy of raw file

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Sherrard Point is the highest point on Larch Mountain, a 4000 ft. plus dormant volcano close to Portland with a great view of the Columbia River and five Cascade peaks (weather permitting, LOL!). I was up there one evening a while back and we were treated to a great sunset. I asked this young man to pose and he kindly obliged. I did send him all of the raw files after the fact.

Specific Feedback

All feedback welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 24-120mm @24mm (36mm equiv.), f/9, 1/500, ISO 800. Processed in ACR and PS. I went back to the original file and started over on the edit. I turned down the WB to 4500K, cropped it somewhat, added a linear gradient the top of the image and brightened it slightly, and did a slight vignette centered on the figure in the image.

1 Like

Patrick, this view does a fine job of capturing the joy of watching a great sunset. When you say cooled the white balance, that looks similar to how Adobe adds saturation (watch the blue channel in the histogram…) and the extra saturation does give the view considerably more drama.

1 Like