Shoot Me If You Can!

It was my goal to capture a butterfly in flight. This was the best I could do so far. I really want to get one coming straight at me. But this was pretty exciting! It was kind of like panning a bird but way harder. I’m sure that someone else has something better.

Specific Feedback Requested

I would like to know if color or black and white is a winner. Or if I should scrap the whole thing! Also do you think an idea like this could possibly be fine art?
And any other comments, critique, etc always welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 800
300mm
f/6.3
1/800
Did a 16:9 crop to make it look faster and the one image changed to black and white.

naturenessie
1 Like

Vanessa, kudos to your effort of photographing a butterfly in flight. Not an easy task. I think I have managed to pull off one thus far that I felt was a keeper. They are small, and flutter around so, it makes it difficult.

For me, I think I like t he color best, as that tree in the background seems more pronounced in the B&W, showing up darker. I might would consider trying cropping top and right side off, and see how you like the crop. That would get the butterfly out of the center, and loose some of the tree and some of that dark line going across right above the butterfly. Not sure if that will work with the creativity that you had in mind.

1 Like

The color works very well. Nice effort and result to get it frozen in flight. Not an easy task
Balan Vinod

1 Like

Thanks Shirley! Something like this?..

I like it better, Vanessa. To me, it feels okay for the out of focus tree to be there.

1 Like

I think the tree gives it more depth and a sense of place. But that’s probably just me.

1 Like

Vanessa, it’s easy to see why you like this. You’ve got a nice mix of butterfly against a colorful oof background. Your original post (in color) has a fine minimalist look with lots of negative space. In looking at the large version, it looks like the butterfly is just slightly soft. 1/800 s may be a ad slow for in-flight sharpness. BTW, getting a moving anything coming right at you is the hardest action shot because your camera may not be able to adjust focus fast enough.

1 Like

Hi Mark! Yes, I have to slow down and get more deliberate at always checking my camera settings before I start shooting. Sometimes it’s hard to anticipate!

Color - and its a great shot!!