Shooting In The Rain

Another from the recent outing to catch some spring color. This one I had to crop as I was already zoomed out to 200 and I did not want to trespass onto private property. By this time it was raining a little harder and the wind had picked up so I turned up the ISO to 400. To help keep the camera dry we just opened the hatchback on Mike’s Escape and used it as an umbrella. :laughing:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 & 200 mm, f 14 @ 1/50 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Ed,
Nice to read about your creative use of the hatchback to stay dry, I will remember that for the future. I like the atmosphere, colors and processing of this scene. I am on the fence about the prominent green tree trunk and branches on the left 1/3 of the image. It does add interest, but I find it also draws my eye away from the really nice stuff in the right half. The larger this is viewed the better it works for me.

It’s hard to look at this one and not compare it to your smash hit previous one. You want to give suggestions to make it like the other one (brighter exposure and less saturation). But your intention must’ve been very different with this image. I just find the composition confusing here. I agree that those branches seem too random on the left.

Ed, this sure is some nice color on the buds here. Again, it’s not fair to compare this to your prior post, but I do think this one is a little dark. I think increasing he luminosity would make the red buds pop a bit more. I find the upper right quadrant to be the more interesting part of this image. The bottom right quadrant does not have as much color. The brighter branches on the left side get more attention than they need and I would burn them down. and here is a rework for your consideration addressing my comments

Ed,

Love the stage that the buds are in and I like, and would have been attracted to this scene as well. Initially though, the bare tree on the left with a bit of lichen just didn’t seem to fit well with the rest of the scene. Chaotic of course, but I am enjoying the balance between the color/buds and the randomness of the branch structures.

Then I saw @Ed_McGuirk 's rendition and I thought, wow, that made a huge difference! That tree on the left is still there, but it’s presence is not so distracting any more. Subtle, but man, at least in my mind, a significant transformation. That tree on the left is more integrated in the overall scene.

I knew there was potential here!

Lon

1 Like

Thanks @Lon_Overacker

To me, the chaos in the branches was mostly in the bottom 25% of the original image, and there was less red there too. By cropping that away and boosting the luminosity of the red buds, the image puts the viewers attention back on color instead of shapes.

Thanks folks @Alan_Kreyger, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk and @Lon_Overacker for taking the time to leave your C&C; always appreciated. I liked the basic image, but something nagged me a little and after reading your comments and @Ed_McGuirk’s repost I think that took care of it. BTW Ed, thanks for taking the time to do a repost.

I’ll vote for @Ed_McGuirk’s crop too Ed. I’m with Igor in that your prior post is hard not to compare to, but Ed’s crop emphasizes the abstract nature here and makes this image a great contrast to the prior one.

Beautiful image, I’d only darken the brighter branches in the first 1/3.

I added vignette and some contrast.