Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary Lens L Mount Test

Pushing my lens to see how sharp it is. The crop above is a tiny section.

Type of Critique Requested

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Lens Testing This lens is under a $1,000.00. What is your take?

Technical Details

Hi Steve, the lens looks plenty sharp to me…I am seeing something that may have to do with your processing, however. The crop shows it much more than the whole image. It looks…crunchy? Like maybe too much clarity, or detail sharpening? I also get a hint of a halo around the head. That’s also likely due to the over application of some sharpening or clarity tool. Can you post the crop of the head without the sharpening/clarity applied? It might be a way to compare better.

Thanks for the help David
I will go back and find the raw and repost
Thanks
again

You are correct, I went back to my editor and I did indeed do noise and supersharp on the file.
Not sure why since I was testing. But here is a 360% of no edit and edited where you can see the halo.
I think I am happy with the lens largest Fstop is F5 so not too fast. Not a problem for a landscape where I use ND filters a lot of the time anyway, not so good for my blue-hour bird images.

NO editing

Noseless and Supersharp

Here is the downside except for the halo I like the color and texture better.
Let me know your thoughts
Thanks again
Steve

Looks like a pretty good lens, especially at the price-kind of like the Sigma 150-600 I used, hard to beat the quality at the price. Overall, it does look better with some sharpening. The eye looks great, though I wonder if the green should be somewhere between the two.