Lens test Canon 100-500mm 2x (1000mm)

I rented the Canon 100-500 and a1.4x & 2x. This Snowy was photographed in the marsh behind Rocky Neck State Park, on July 23 at 8:41 AM.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, Canon 100-500mm & 2X, F14, 1000mm, 1/2000, -.3EV, ISO 2500. The shot was cropped by 25% and I adjusted the highlights and exposure in DXO Photo Lab 4.
The out come of the test was, the 1.4X can be used on a daily basis, but the 2X I had to pick my shots. F14 required good lighting.
Peter

I like your grass/marsh shots of the herons and egrets, Peter. This one is captivating . The bird is very sharp, the marsh grass must have been a bit distant from the egret as it is oof in comparison; nonetheless, the image with the nice eye contact, captures my attention .

Good detail/handling of whites. I like the setting; the grass makes a pleasing addition.

It does look like they did a good job getting the zoom lens and TCs to work together, Peter. Amazing sharpness for this kind of combination. When one gets up to that kind of focal length, steadiness is super-critical. I played that game with a 500 prime and 2x years ago and decided that it was great for hummingbirds in the garden where I just wanted to make something pretty close large in the frame, but was too difficult for most distant subjects.

I really like the image.

My 100-500 normally lives with the 2X on, and I’m constantly delighted by the sharpness, including for birds in flight. Your image here looks very sharp but there had been some major damage from NR. I don’t know Photo Lab, but going from LR/ACR into PS and using Topaz DeNoise would give you a much better outcome.

Hi
Thank you all for the comments. I did a “handheld” three way comparison with Sigma at 600mm, f7.1, Canon 10-500mm at 700mm, F10, 1000mm, F14. and they finished in that order. Granted there was very little difference between Sigma at 600mm and Canon at 700mm. As I said in good light the 2x was usable, it just didn’t hold up to the Canon 100-500mm with the 1.4x.
Diane I posted a head shot of this Egret. With and without DeepPrime noise reduction.
Peter