The following is brought to you by the magic of Canon & DXO PhotoLab 7 (DeepPRIME XD)

Full Frame

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The sun was just starting clear the trees on the Back River Old Lyme CT, on Oct 28 at 7:21 AM and had not yet reach the Great Blue Heron. When I started to frame up on the Blue, Canon’s ISO started to flashing at 12K, so I changed the shutter to 1/250 & the EV to +2.3, the ISO never stopped flashing. At that point, I said what the heck and fired off a couple frames.

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 100-500mm, & 1.4Ext, f10, 700mm, 1/250, +EV 2.3, ISO 12,000. The shot was cropped by 60% and I adjusted saturation on the Heron and reeds in DXO PhotoLab 7.

1 Like

The leeway we have with the available dynamic range in today’s cameras is wonderful, Peter. And obviously the software helps a lot with things like noise. Your final result is quite good, despite the difficulties you encountered.

I like this, Peter. Good detail in the heron and the colors in the grass add a lot to the image. A nice environmental shot.

Nice save! I’ve never pushed my ISO that far but should experiment. Looks like focus fell on the reeds, but maybe you didn’t have a choice. If you’re on a tripod, you should be able to nail focus on a small subject with the point focus mode.

Nice environment shown but I agree with Diane that critical focus seems to be on the reeds. Still, the overall effect is pleasing to view.

HI Dennis, Allen Brooks, Diane & Allen Sparks
Thank you for your comments. This was one of those, let’s see what happens shot.
(this is hand held - I really cary tripod with me)
Peter