One or Two

With Graduated filter & Blurring

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This the same Blue I photographed on Oct 28 at 7:24 AM in Old Lyme. The sun light had started to reach the Heron and the ISO stopped flashing (still at 12K). I thought the reads looked a little churchy so I added a graduated filter with blurring. So what do you think with or without blurring?
Thank you for stopping by.

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 100-500mm & 1.4ext, f10, 700mm, +1.7 EV, 1/500, ISO 12 K. The shot is cropped by 60% in DXO Photo Lab 7.

A very nice image, Peter. Personally, I don’t see any need to blur the top of the reeds. They make a gorgeous environment for the bird, that works just fine for my taste.

Either seems OK to me. I am more focused on the reflection, or lack of it. Since the title seems to suggest there is more to the reflection, am I correct in guessing you did not post the whole shot?

Honestly, Peter, I really can’t see a lot of difference between the two and both look fine to me. I like how the colors in the reeds and heron tend to complement each other. A nice composition.

Hi Peter, I agree that the reeds provide a nice background for the heron. No need to blur IMO but either version looks good. The cut off reflection of the bird looks rather odd.

Hi Dennis, Barbara, Allen Brooks & Allen Sparks
Thank you for your comments. The reflection doesn’t really resolve it self, so I did consider it in my first post. Barbara, the question really was whether to blur or not blur the high brass. Any way here is the un-cropped view of the Blue at 700mm.
Peter

Lovely image, Peter. I don’t actually see any difference in the two images and I don’t think the reeds need to be blurred out. In fact, I kind of like the inclusion of the trees and whatever is just above the top of the reeds in your full size image. Maybe create a vertical out of it. Great image either way though.

1 Like

Hi David
It is a wonder how one photograph and turn into so many different views. Thank you for the comment.
Peter
Ps
I first started photographing this Blue as a let’s what will happen. (flashing 12K ISO , hand held at 700mm, 1/500.)

1 Like

Funny, Peter, how this makes for so many options … I would be inclined to include much more environment and place the heron in the corner… most important thing is that the heron stands out excellent against the blacks and therefore in all different cuts remains the subject… Cheers,

Hi Hans
Thank you for your comments. This is one of those shot you take, just to see what could be make out of it. I am still mazed that Canon and DXO Photo Lab 7 could produce a sharp, low noise photo of a Heron, in the dark, at over 100yd away.
Peter

1 Like