Simmering

Weekly Challenge

The Space Between
10/4/26 - 10/10/26
Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

About This Image

I’ve been culling shots from my phone before upgrading and came across this one I grabbed in the parking lot of my office as I was getting ready to leave for home. Lots of empty but interesting space here. I did not boost the contrast or saturation. >=))>

Feedback Requested

I’m not sure about the column of “steam” rising from the cauldron. Your thoughts?

Technical Details

I Phone 13 Pro Max
ISO 80, 1/120 @ f1.5, 40mm

1 Like

Hi Bill,

I love the contrasting warm and cool tones you captured of the sky that particular evening as well as the analogy of steam rising from the caldron. I could see a little removed from from the top, but that is certainly not a nit . Just more of a personal preference for size formats. This had to be a treat to witness before heading home for the day.

This is a very neat image, Bill. I really like the way the sunset light is coloring the clouds. I think sky/cloud images account for most of my phone photos as you never know when you’re going to see something really interesting up there. In this case the streak of orange leading from the main body adds a lot to the image and I really love the texture formed by the clouds.

I like the orange sun pillar too, Bill. If it’s a sun pillar, I’ve never see one so refracted by the clouds. Perhaps it’s called something else in this case? Anyway, Those colors are fantastic. And the mammatus clouds add a wonderful texture to it all.
ML

Lovely capture - nice complementary colors with cloud pattern. The RUC has a smooth area - marginally distracting to me

Wonderful scene!! It grabs my attention trying to figure out which clouds are higher. I would think the ones that have the color must be higher as they would still be in the line of the sun’s last light , while the buttermilk / mackerel clouds must be lower altocumulus. But my brain wants to think they are higher, probably because they feel expansive. At any rate, I love the depth here! I could wish there was more detail in the oranges at the bottom, but maybe not much can be done with what was probably a JPEG output. I was eager to play with the raw capture when I upgraded to the 16 a couple of years ago but a few early attempts proved disappointing compared to my big cameras and I haven’t pursued the possibilities.

Bill, this is fine looking sunset, with the trail of color leading to the top of the frame. It’s quite possible that your phone adds saturation as it creates the image unless you have a way to have it capture in RAW. Most phone image capture software includes lots of processing.