Skeleton tree

What technical feedback would you like if any? any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? any, editing advice, etc.

Any pertinent technical details: D810, handheld, f/18, ISO 100 105mm 1/30 sec.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Dayna, I like the tree as an interesting subject in B & W. A few things that I think could help. The horizon line shows the frame needs to be turned clockwise a bit and is also grabbing my eye. If you could provide a little more breathing room above the upper limb and the top of the frame it would help prevent the tension at that point. I am not sure if you could have changed your position to help that issue. I find it easier to compose these types of scenes using a tripod.

Reworked a little.

Dayna,

This is quite an expressive old snag with character. In fact, I see a conductor addressing the orchestra waving his baton!

I like your processing with a good range of tones and good contrast. I also like the tree set against the rocks and water.

The most notable issue for me is not just the slice of horizon, but also the merging of the top branch with the water line. Adding the sky helped, but possible even accentuated the merging of that top branch. If there was a choice, I would prefer some room between the top of branch; either all water, or sky, but without the tension of being right on the edge. I suppose it could be done with adding some canvas and some careful cloning/fill. I think this is an image worth trying to address.

Lon

1 Like

Dayna, I definitely agree with @Lon_Overacker comments on your repost. I had not seen the repost and addition of the sky since my original comments.

1 Like