Obituary of a Tree

This tree fell into Lake Ontario long ago. Canon 5D MarkII, f/11, 1/8 sec, ISO-100, 24mm

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Larry,

Really enjoying the mirrored reflection and the quiet calm that is presented. Pretty clear the what the demise of this tree is going to be.

I do think the image itself is mostly about the endless expanse of the water. You’ve got a great sky as well. And the way the tree and eroded land are presented, they are really only framing the scene. Now that’s not a bad thing - and again the demise of the tree is apparent.

The only small wish I have would that the bottom have not so much clutter; either more vegetation to provide a base, or none at all. Of course probably not much you could have done about it. I don’t think cropping is a solution either.

I quite like the mood here as well as the story you’re telling.

Lon

For me the draw is the beautiful cloud structure and soft colors and how they reflect in the calm water. The tree is interesting and does act as a frame. I too would eliminate the grass at the bottom to give a clear view into the scene. Must have been a pleasure to have been there in person.

This is a really beautiful scene, no doubt. The bank does give a sense of distance and how vast this all is. The image does feel unbalanced, however, with the bank and tree all pushed up against one end of it.

Great photo Larry! To my eye, the composition does not look unbalanced. I think the weight of the tree and land on the right is well balanced by the brightness on the left. My vote would be to clone out the tallest bush/tiwggy thing on the left and leave the rest of the grass. The grass adds to the sense of place and is not too distracting.