Skogafoss

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

A very windy day in Southwestern Iceland.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This image was taken during a workshop in October. It was very windy most of the time we were in Iceland and in this case the windy conditions helped create or at least add to the heavy mist at the base of the falls. I was also lucky in that even though it was a sunny day when we arrived at Skogafoss, the entire falls was in shadow created by the surrounding cliffs, making the image capture less problematic.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS R5. Lens: RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM, f/8.0 @ 40.0 mm. for 1.3 secs. ISO 100
Edited using Photoshop with Camera Raw Filters.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments welcomed.

I immediately recognized the place. Inn a way, with so little context I was surprised that it was still so identifiable. It’s very striking in black and white and the contrast of the sharp streaks of water at the top compared to the mist at the bottom is interesting to me.

If I haven’ t replied before, thank you, Karla for your kind words. I have been trying lately some new approaches to black and white editing in an effort to create more drama in the scene. Robert

1 Like