Skogafoss - Before

Skogafoss

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Despite arriving at this waterfall towards midday, I was still able to create the final black and white image I envisioned at the time of capture.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This image of Skogafoss Waterfall in Iceland was captured around midday. I was lucky that all but the upper left corner involving some of the surrounding rock was in shadow and enabled me to capture an image of the waterfall with out the contrast of a sunlit one. In post processing I was able to eliminate the sunlit portion of the image by utilizing the Photoshop “Remove Tool.” I then made the conversion to black and white and replaced the sky. Further editing was completed in Photoshop to create the mysterious and dramatic image of my original vision.

Technical Details

Camera: Camera: Canon EOS R5. Lens: RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM @ 40.0 mm. f/8.0 , 1.3 sec. ISO 100. Edited using Photoshop.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments welcomed.

It’s the B&W for me in a landslide victory! I love the way you’ve processed the water. The sky is much better too. Is that the original sky? I think, that with the somewhat muted tones in this scene, that the black and white with the contrast cranked up a bit has really made this a great image!

I think this is stunning!! Simple and elegant! Definitely a perfect subject for B/W!

I’m surprised at what the Remove Tool did! I haven’t tried it. Patches of light like that are too common in so many otherwise-wonderful scenes.

Beautiful conversion to B+W; really like how you got rid of the bright part using the remove tool. Well done!

Thank you, Paul for the kind words. The sky was replaced using a sky image of my own with the idea of adding some drama. Bob

Thank you Diane for your kind words. I haven’t used the remove tool all that much but after trying a couple of other ideas this worked to my satisfaction. I think the key was adding a new layer in Photoshop using the little square with the plus sign at the bottom of the layers panel which created, a blank adjustment layer, at least I think that is what it was. I then used the brush from the remove tool to paint over the sunlit portion of the cliff. Bob

Thank you very much Fritz. I haven’t used the remove tool all that much, but after trying a few other ideas this worked to my satisfaction. Bob

That sounds like the right way! I need to find some things to try it on! Sounds much preferable to trying to adjust for areas like that with an oh-so-carefully masked Curves!

Black and White image has quite an impact. It must feel very gratifying to finally capture your desired vision.

Thank you, Laura for the kind words. Bob

It definitely worked well with this image, but not so much for a couple of others I tried it on, although not the same type of problem. Bob

I just love how some “meh” photos turn so awesome when they’re converted to black and white!! The colors completely distract from the beautiful waterfall. I’m glad you also cropped the image a bit in the conversion, which tightened the composition nicely. Very well done!

Thank you so very much Denise for your very kind words. Bob