Skogafoss

I was looking through moving water images and found this one of Skogafoss in Iceland taken a few years ago. The original image was shot at 250th of a second; today Adobe released a new smoothing texture slider in Adobe camera raw. I applied the adjustment brush twice over the waterfall to see if I could simulate a slow exposure. To me, it looks like about 1/25 the second. I will include the original to compare.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
This was the first and only time I’ve use this new slider. The results aren’t perfect but it is interesting and perhaps a new and useful tool. As with anything new, the more practice one has the better the outcome.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The change looks natural and realistic to me. I think you’ve demo’ed interesting prospects for the new tool.

It looks as though it lightened it in the process, and depending on my goals for the photo, I might be tempted to tone that back down a little with the Whites or Highlights slider. Interesting prospect I look forward to trying. Thanks!

The blur looks quite realistic, David. I like the effect. For my taste, the extra brightness/contrast in the surrounding rocks adds a nice contrast, but as Hank noted, it’s a matter of the mood you want to create.

I think it works rather well all considering. I realize the color needed adjustment. I was just trying to present the blur action. I have some raw images from this day with and without blurred water but this one had the human closest to the falls and was the best comp. I had tried previously to digitally alter the falls using a motion blur but that was a failure. This is pretty cool !

David

I think the effect works fine, but I actually prefer the original. I think the SS suits the power of this falls perfectly.
:vulcan_salute:

David: I love the scale here with the lone hiker dwarfed by the falls. I think the adjusted version is nice but I agree with Michael on wanting to see the power of falls like this that you get from a stop action SS. Makes me want to go there.>=))>

David,

The most striking thing and biggest impact for me is the presence of the humanoid… Really gives this a sense of not just scale, but of sheer power and strength.

I’m on the fence about the effect. I’m sure that brush will be helpful in a lot of situations though. I think, if I followed this right, the second post is the original? In terms of the effect on the water? I prefer the second post regardless.

Lon

David, a fascinating look at a new tool. This is a striking falls and the figure at the bottom shows the drama and size very well. To my eye, the blurred version looks good on the left, but looks too blurred in the misty areas along the center.

What a massive falls! This would definitely be less powerful for me without the person.

I too prefer the original.