Water and Moss

I have lots of images of waterfalls, but few where the subject is water in motion. I shot this a couple of years ago in the Willamette Valley, OR. Not sure whether the whites are too blown or just about right, so any and all feedback is welcome, technical, processing, or otherwise.

It’s a single image, ISO 160, f/7.1, 25 seconds, tripod, Canon 5D3 with 24-105 at 105mm.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The detail in the water is lost in a couple places but still looks good to me. Just looks highlighted by the sun. Nice flow through the image.
:vulcan_salute:

Marylynne,

Great entry to the WC - plenty of water motion going on here. There is quite a bit going on, but I find this engaging and lots to explore and enjoy. I don’t think the highlights in the water are an issue and I personally like the whispy water - well, at least I don’t have a problem with it. Texture is often a good thing and some times required, but I don’t think so here.

I really like the layering side to side; I find that somewhat unique and I especially like the abrupt transition between the rock/moss and the cascade in the middle of the frame.

The tough part is I think the direct sun in much of the image, especially in the UL area. I tried to mitigate that with a crop and some serious burning in that area (used TK’s old Lights Triple play, masked to that area as well as regular burning) Perhaps I went too far, but I think it simplified the image.

Like a I mentioned, a lot going on, but I like this quite a lot.

Lon

Thanks, Lon and Michael. I’ll play with other crops for this. I really like that pool in the upper right, and it gets lost in the pano crop. Then again, maybe there are two images here and finding the right composition for each could be a good exercise.
ML

I really like the soft flow of the water in this image, Marylynne. The bright spots doen’t bother me. I do find myself wishing for a bit more of that lovely still pool in the upper right, but I have no idea what kind of complications that might add to the composition elsewhere. I’d also be tempted to bring down the brighter areas in the upper left and right.

I’ve taken a stab at several alternative crops. At the risk of posting too many examples in one thread, here are some composition options. Let me know if one of them strikes you ask much better than the others or, whether Lon’s idea above is the best.

Of course another possibility is that they are just fine but not much more can be done ;-). I am always open to that message!

1. This version is just an 8x10 crop with a bit more burning in a few areas.

2. This version is a vertical of the middle of the subject (i.e. changing the subject to a narrowing slice).

3. This version is a vertical of the far right part of the original composition.

I think I like #1 the best, Marylynne. I like what you did in the upper left and the balance feels very good to me. #3 would be my second choice, but the mist over the fern in the lower right seems too prominent with that tight a crop.

Thanks Dennis. I was thinking the same thing. I really like that little pool at the top, but when I crop to 8x10 to eliminate the mist/movement blur in the ferns, I can see that the top pool was not the center of the focus, and with my relatively large aperture, it’s not crisp. Here it is for regretful comparison.

Marylynne, I like the flow through the frame and the layers of flow from right to left. I do think the upper left is a bit too bright and some texture in the top center would be good. The overall brightness looks right for a fine sunny day.

I rather like this version, Marylynne. The upper right doesn’t go soft enough to matter to me. Maybe just a bit of a burn to that upper right rock to balance things a bit more and I think this would be worth framing.