The Power of H20

The timing of the WC is perfect given that I just spent 4 days along the Merced… I didn’t have plans to post this anywhere - at least until the WC came up. :wink:

I always stop by this spot coming and going from the park. Myself and others have photographed and posted many images from here. There’s a ginormous boulder that I usually will sit on and have a few zen moments… just listening and feeling the roar and power of the river.

This image I expect is an example of how it means so much more for those who get to experience the scene, rather than just look at a photograph of it. Just for reference, I’m reposting from a few years ago the same rock/scene, only the b&w version was taking in the fall when the water levels are low. This spring and just along this stretch of river, there were no boulders or rocks visible - just overrun with the spring run off.

Anyway, thought this was a good one for the WC. As always, comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I’m only uploading this one for reference. Please do not include in the WC as I’ve posted previously. Tx!)

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @85mm f/25 1/5s iso 50 and I believe I had a variable ND filter on. This was mid-day, bright, bright light on white water. Took a lot of stops to get the shutter speed slow enough for some motion.

Great comparison. Forgive the liberties, but you might as well compare apples to apples (or PCs to PCs). :grin:

1 Like

Thanks @Harley_Goldman, good call. I think I had run this thru Nik Silver EFex, but didn’t see a good combo. But then maybe I didn’t. Age is showing.

I like your rendition!

Wow Lon, that’s quite a seasonal deluge. The upstream placement of the big rock works well for the outflow. The baseline shutter speed for my moving water images at closer range like this is around 1/4 second, similar to this. I really like the processing of your reference photo as well.

Darn, I forgot my kayak. Really nice look at this turbulent flow in the Merced River. One could certainly make an argument for the black-and-white version based on the texture and the water however I like them both.

Both are beautiful, but I have to say that I am loving that B&W vertical, Lon. It has a great range of tones along with some wonderful details in the rushing water of the Merced. The water action does a masterful job of taking me through the frame. Beautifully done; no nits from me.

I agree with everybody here that these are amazing. And since I am a sucker for B&W, I like what Harley did, too. Just endless possibilities here, Lon.

Lon, I will echo my brother Ed’s comments word for word.
:vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute:

Lon: I’m a color junkie (even subtle ones :wink:) so I prefer your new image. Love the SS choice and the muted color palette especially. I can sit and watch water flows like this and waves for hours and never get enough. Looks like a beautiful place to enjoy some peace. >=))>

Lon, I paddled a canoe through one of these yesterday. We made it, but took about 8 inches of water into our canoe… This does a fine job of capturing the power of fast water racing over and around a big rock. I especially like the bit of “jump” that there along the bottom of the big step.