High Water

This is the Merced River in Yosemite last week, flowing at a raging pace. The river made a wonderful roar as Lon and I goofed around with cameras on its banks. This tree was not lacking for water.

D810, 70-200mm

Nicely composed and an excellent exposure. I like the contrast between the dark areas in the light areas. The tree is a perfect anchor for the image.

Harley: Marvelous light and your SS really puts you right there for the rush. Well seen and nicely captured.>=))>

I really like the light on the tree and the composition, Harley. This image immediately brought to mind a book I read a couple of years ago titled “Cottonwood and the River of Time”. If you like natural history, it’s a nice read.

Harley, after seeing your email report the other day I was just waiting to see the photographic updates from your recent trip to YNP. This “roaring” rush of water along the Merced surely fits the WC perfectly. The placement of the tree as well as the illumination of it is also excellent…:sunglasses:

Ahh, so that’s what you were up to! There’s the little tree… then there’s the really little tree.

Excellent capture Harley. You handled the light beautifully - and I remember it being quite harsh, especially in the river! I think you’ve included just enough of the river to tell your “High Water” story - and this works beautifully. No nits or suggestions, excellent as presented.

I guess the only thing missing (as in all photographs…) is the sound. That was a pretty good “roar” we got to experience.

Lon

Oh I can hear the roar alright. This is very well composed, Harley. I really like the progression that Lon mentioned. I think I would consider darkening the bright rock that kinda shows up on the lower branch between the leaves of the big tree. For what it’s worth, I think it’s this kind of composition that we often pass by. Kudos for presenting this in a very beautiful way.

1 Like

Good catch! I never even noticed that, but once you pointed it out, yikes. I also burned that small highlight on the rock further to the left. Thanks

This is a very nice scene, Harley! I really like the light on the tree. A nicely balanced composition also. This fits last weeks theme as well as this weeks!

Lovely details throughout the scene in both the rushing water and the surrounding trees, Harley. My only suggestion would be to tone down the rock in the middle 0f the frame that is showing through the tree. Looks like you guys had a great time while there.

A lovely scene indeed. That bit of sunlight on the small tree is important to the comp.

The light on the water and the two trees combined with the dark boulder and forest creates a nice contrast. The light is wonderful and you did a great job with processing. No nits here.
–P

Harley, that tree really shines and it’s solidity offsets the movement in the water beautifully.