Merced River Rumble

As Lon said, there was a whole lot of water in Yosemite Valley. I saw waterfalls where I have never seen waterfalls before. Surprisingly, the Merced River was not doing any serious flooding (yet). A few campsites in North Pines were inundated but that was all I saw. The spray from Bridalveil and Lower Yosemite was impressive (never seen that much).

All the water provided good opportunities for what a buddy refers to as “fuzzy water images”. Here is one of mine.

D810, 70-200mm

Excellent Mr. H.! Great job isolating this little piece of the roaring Merced. This is almost in the abstract category and for sure at least a mind bender for me. I say that because from this little snippet, I can’t tell if the water is coming or going. Ok, sure it appears that it’s flowing top to bottom - but then left to right and also right to left and the bottom I have no idea! Perfect shutter speed to show flow and motion, yet not so long that the water turns to mush. Love the colors in the water and submerged rock - you’ve rendered that beautifully.

I’m torn about the reflected blue/cyan on the rock. Yup, there’s bluebird sky about and I think it’s accurately depicted in the scene. I’m just not sure I like it there that maybe it’s pulling the eye away from the graceful flow and texture in the water. But I’ll take a wild guess and say that I think you like it or you would have taken down the reflected blue - and of course it’s your choice!

If anything, my only suggestion would be to reduce the blue right along the transition line between the dark rock and frothy water. The darker splash of water looks a bit blue to my eye.

Other than those minor comments, this is a wonderful water intimate.

Lon

A very good, creative image. I like the colors and especially the suggestion of rocks below the surface. My only critique is the choice or rock, and that’s a personal choice. I search for lighter granite for it’s richer texture and a tonal value that, in my opinion, better complements the rushing water. These types are found around the edges of the Merced where algal growth hasn’t darkened the rock.

Nice intimate water scene, Harley. The framing works well with the water movement diagonally through the frame. Personally I’m not bothered by the blue on the rock - it looks natural to my eye and adds visual interest. Processing looks good and only thought would be to try to recover more detail in the brightest areas of the foam in front of the rock. Some day I gotta make it up there.

Harley, the water in this intimate scene is very appealing and makes for very a nice abstract. I can’t comment on the natural rock colors in the Merced but I am also finding the dark cyan to be a bit intense, but again this falls in the category of personal preference.

Like the abstract effect here, Harley, which still captures the energy of the waters flowing around the rocks. Nice contrast between the sharp textures of the main rock and the soft water.

Harley, a really fine small cascade here. I’m sure the scene would not be near as nice without the large boulder there. Nice work in holding the highlights in check also…:+1:

First off great eye to spot and isolate this little river scene, Harley. The large version shows off some wonderful details and textures in the water and I like the placement of the boulder in the frame. It helps create those wonderful dynamics in the water.

Nice intimate shot of the water here :slight_smile: I like the processing and the color but have you tried editing it in BW? Also did you try the shot at different shutter speeds? I think a bit faster and smoother water may have had an even more pleasing effect possibly.

Harley, this looks like a very high level of water flow, and to come away with this much gorgeous texture and definition in the water was probably not an easy task. Whether you did it via ISO and/or shutter speed, you did an outstanding job of maintaining texture in the water. The green color in the water is also very appealing. I too am not bothered by the blue on the rock. I like this very much as presented, nice work.