Merced River Abstract

This is another from Yosemite last week. The raging Merced River provided a bounty of photo opportunities.

D810, 70-200mm

1 Like

Harley, an excellent one here. I really like the wave, curl, crest, or eyebrow look if you will to the one main area here. Exceptional & unique composition to this type of midstream / river cascade…:+1::+1:

Harley,

This is great! Paul’s reference to the eyebrow is right on - in fact you’ve got the entire eye. Uncanny actually. I just love the brow - or more aesthetically, looks like polished resin over walnut, mahogony or cherry wood… Beautiful colors. The splash at the bottom shows good action, but also gives the viewer a hint of the power and roar of the river.

Minor thought - You might consider cloning or toning the bit of brighter water along the top right edge. Almost not worth mentioning.

Can’t help it Harley… you really had a great eye for one… :roll_eyes: :laughing:

This is great Harley, but I would appreciate it so much more if I hadn’t seen that tree photo first :grin:

It looks like the eye of a dragon to me. Such a cool composition here and I really like the colors produced on the upper right corner triangle there.

It does look like an eye crying an ocean of tears Harley. I like the abstract qualities and sense of motion created by your well chosen shutter speed.

Looks like you had a very productive trip Harley. I love the color, contrast and shutter speed here, and they add up to a very dynamic image. Nicely done…

This is a great intimate framing, Harley, and excellent camera settings for the scene. I think your relatively shorter exposure, whatever it was, pairs nicely with the closer distance and velocity, because there’s plenty of detail and yet it retains a nicely fluid design. I like the framing at the LHS as is, although I can imagine this might work well with a bit more panoramic aspect. The direction of flow over that rock makes me want to see more space at right. And more of that turbulent detail in the plunge pool might add to its sense of power.

You have some very nice textures and pleasing color in this. You might want to bring down the brightness of that small area top right. I like blue contrasting with the greens and the rock. The power of the water is very evident. Nicely done!
-P