Water moving through the forest

Nature shuffles the deck constantly as trees fall, boulders slide and water comes and goes. This is a little creek in the Goat Rocks Wilderness near Packwood, WA. I enjoyed a day playing in the water and just exploring up the creek, anxiously anticipating the view around the next bend. I felt lucky to capture this moment and view.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any feedback would be appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 80D
EF-S 10-22@16
1.3s/f20

Lightroom/Photoshop and some ColorEfex to warm the image up and vignette.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jtanaturephoto

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
5 Likes

James: Awesome color palette and a beautiful scene superbly rendered. :+1::+1:>=))>

1 Like

A lovely long exposure image of moving water, JT. I really like the way the water moves through the frame in this one.

1 Like

Nice selection of shutter speed. I like the mount of detail surrounding the flowing water with he variety of colours included.My personal taste - I’m very slightly distracted by the rock towards the top left corner - being able to see a sliver of rock around the edge shown - I wonder if a minimal crop would help.

1 Like

JT,

Gorgeous, intimate image. As mentioned, the colors are wonderful. I especially like the change in temperature from a bit cool up top, to a bit warmer below. This is really almost a tale of two images; each half would be beautiful on their own. But together this is twice as beautiful.

Only small suggestion goes along the lines with Rob’s comment. The brighter green moss in the UL and also the small, bright rock on left edge below midline are mildly eye magnets. You could either burn those down (or some other technique) or a slight crop off the left could do the trick. Very minor, but I think something to consider if you’re going to print.

Beautiful imagery,

Lon

1 Like

JT, this is a beautifully designed image. I love everything about it. That lush green of the moss covered rocks is marvelous. I typically avoid shooting silky water, but it works beautifully here, because the cascades are delicate and at comfortable distance, and the fact that it’s splashing onto those distant rocks creates a pleasing aura to the edges. The whole scene looks quite natural. This is a real winner and truly magnificent, display it proudly !!

1 Like

Very nice look at this moving water with superb leading lines taking one right back to the tree at the top of the frame. No concern about exposure. My only issue is the level of saturation which I think creates some of the distracting areas with brighter green. I would darken them and perhaps cut back on the orange saturation by 10%.

1 Like

This is a very nice and very peaceful scene, James. The exposure is just right and I like the rich colors and spot lighting. I’m not generally a fan of silky water, because I don’t get to see what it really looked like but it works well in this application and especially for the theme.

1 Like

Love the FG cascade framed by the rocks on one side and the downfall on the other. Great spotlighting on the mossy greens and the waterfall.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

This is a beautifully composed and processed scene James. No nits from me.

Interesting that we have some overlap. I too have AZ connections (I was a resident for 32 years prior to moving to the PNW) and hike with my dog. I backpacked through Goat Rocks for the first time this past summer, and it is high on my list of places to return to.

The mix of colors in this view are great, James. The filmy sections of water contrast well with the glowing rocks and fallen logs. Quite a find.

That’s awesome, John. Let’s meetup for a hike in the Goat Rocks this summer.

1 Like