Forest Flow

What technical feedback would you like if any?

From a PP standpoint, how’s the color pallete strike you? Any recommendations on luminance range in this scene?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any concerns regarding balance of elements in the scene?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single image - single processing (was lowish contrast scene )

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jim_mcgovern_photography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Processing looks great to my eye. I love the warm tones of the rocks and the bright vivid greens. Also the hint of mist at the top.
:vulcan_salute:

Jim,

This is excellent - quite beautiful in fact. I think it’s very well balanced. The immediate foreground seems to get the edge in importance, mostly because it’s right there in front of the viewer. But space wise, I think the foreground rocks/water, the main cascade and the vibrant greenery in the bg are all balanced and combined nicely. The mist up top also really helps in evening out any highlights.

Processing, colors/sat, all look great too! I have no nits or suggestions. Just enjoyment.

Lon

This is just a fantastic image with lots of atmosphere, Jim. The greens are wonderful and are complimented nicely with tones in the rocks and everything is topped off with the sublime light and mist above. I have one small suggestion and that would be to clone out the sky along the top edge about 1/3 of the way over from the right side. Lovely image.

Thanks @Ed_Lowe…I agree that was an opportunity for some improvement. I’ve gone back to the master file and fixed this. I’ve also slightly darkened the lighter tan rocks as their brightness competes a bit with the water. Appreciate your review. Thanks to Lon and Michael as well for your review!

Jim: Flat out awesome. Love the comp and color palette and the light is even more pleasing. Most excellent.>=))>

I think the balance looks great. I like the atypical way the water flows right, then bends back at the bottom, and the green upper corner and red lower corner all work well.

Jim, I think this looks excellent. At first glance I was wondering about toning down the luminance at the top right, but doing that would lose the fine sense of sunlight filtered by the mist. Your focus on the falling water and the rocks at the bottom with the young leave and mist for atmosphere works very well.

Thanks @Bill_Fach and @John_Williams for taking the time to comment…much appreciated. @Mark_Seaver, I clearly struggled with this particular part of the image for some time, and still wonder if it is optimized. I agree that the overall tonal range is more higher-key throughout, but as I looked at it again after reading your comments, I was content with it. I can’t seem to know when a shot is “done”…darn perfectionism is certainly something I could do a better job of letting go!!! Thanks again everyone!