Snakes in a Tree

Not Snakes on a Plane, but damn, snakes in a tree. These three are on some upper branches of a small balsam fir, there is one below (I’ll put another shot up). I’ve never seen this behavior before and never had anyone with me - 5 more people, one of which is an ecology professor and the other a DNR forester. They were all amazed I saw it, but as nature photographers, I know you know how to hone your vision and see patterns and pattern disruptions. Still it was a treat and I’m glad none of my fellow naturalists disturbed them. It looks like a female and two (of three) males. It’s not mating season so maybe a lead up to the huge hibernation masses garters get into in the fall. We were well off trail navigating by compass and a topo map.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any useful suggestions are fine.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld

Lr processed for a little crop, the usual white and black points as well as some texture & clarity. Topaz Sharpen AI and then Ps to remove some distracting OOF highlights.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

What a cute photo! And I love how each one of their faces are perfectly framed in the pine needles and looking different ways! It’s almost like they are posing for a family photo! Nice capture!

That is just too cool. Best image of Garter snakes I’ve ever seen.

Holy Cow! What an amazing find, and photographed so well! Good you had reliable witnesses who can attest that you didn’t put them up there yourself…

Thanks @Vanessa_Hill, @David_Bostock & @Diane_Miller - it was pretty incredible. I know they mass for hibernation, but I’ve never seen them canoodling in trees before. The six of us gathered around and marveled and they didn’t move much. Here is the singleton just a few branches lower -

I was just trying to count them, may be five ???
I have seen this kind of behavior with pythons but not snakes.
Great discovery!

The longer I look, the more I find! What a cool shot. Really interesting behavior to witness, and I love the mix of colors here.

Thanks @JRajput & @Max_Waugh - there were three in the first shot, just going by head count and one below. I didn’t see any on the ground or anywhere else in that tree or nearby trees. I know garter snakes gather in masses for hibernation, but I’ve never seen this before. It was a treat, especially for a snake lover like me.

2 Likes