Snapper's head & Backswimmer

There are 3 large (12-18 long shell) and at least two small (~4" long shell) snapping turtles living in the runoff control pond next door. Except during a rain storm, the water is never more than 6 inches deep, although the soft mud bottom is much deeper. If I sit quietly, the turtles will raise their heads to check out the surroundings. This is a 3 shot stack (to get both the Backswimmer and the turtle’s head sharp) with only the turtle’s nose above water. (7D2, 100-400 @ 400, 1/125 s, f/11, iso 200, tripod)

2 Likes

Have to admit, this is very strange looking, Mark. I never would have guess it was a turtle. Zooming in there is plenty of detail in both the turtle and the backswimmer. Nice catch.

Snappers always struck me as prehistoric looking and you certainly reinforced that mood for me with this image, Mark. This is a wonderful image of the turtle lying in wait in it’s surroundings for whatever comes its way. The backswimmer is another nice element and adds context to this scene for me. Nicely done.

Whoa, that is prehistoric looking! And rather surreal. The color of the reflected light on his (her?) snout is in such contrast to the rest of the scene. It’s amazing what you see if you sit quietly!

1 Like