Snow and red rock

As I mentioned in my first post from this series, I made a last minute dash to Zion to be there when a snowstorm hit. I got there a day before the storm hit, and then had two of the most glorious photography days ever. Here is another photo; you can see more at: https://tonysicilianophotography.smugmug.com/Fine-Art-Photography/Zion-winter-snowstorm-2022/

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments appreciated. I am especially interested in the crop and the white balance. I spent a lot of time with all of the snow photos adjusting the white balance because there was such a heavy blue cast from the snow and the overcast sky.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

1 Like

What?! This is amazing! That’s got to be a huge rock wall. I can’t even wrap my mind around the size perspective. I really love the composition you chose. It really paid off, hurrying there for a snowstorm! The red background is such a nice contrast with the snow covered trees.

Excellent composition, Tony. A great view in one of my favorite parks. I see a hint of blue in the shaded snow areas, but nothing to really worry about. Nice work on the processing.

Were you able to drive the park instead of having to use the tram?

Another beautiful Zion winter image Tony. I don’t know why, but every image I’ve ever shot in Zion has a blue cast to it particularly when there is reflected light in the side canyons. Was this after the storm cleared and you had blue skies? Anyway, The crop is fine but this looks like a 3/2 ratio which is not my favorite so, only to shorten the aspect ratio, you could crop some from the bottom and also crop ever so slightly from the top. White balance looks spot on to me. The fresh fallen snow and the rock wall have the right color to my eye. The angled snow covered portion at the bottom is very nice. You must have had the trip of a lifetime. Last minute decisions sometimes work out and wish I had made the same decision. I too was going to run up there for 3 days after looking at the weather report but last minute obligations I couldn’t get out of kept me home.

To me the snowy ridgeline and the rock face directly behind it is the heart of the image. Therefore the suggested crop works for me. It also expands the image sidewise and that is a positive. I really like the color of the wall. It goes well with the white snow.

This is grand! The contrast of color is an immediate attraction, but to me, the contrast between the massive, immobile wall and the bent-down tiny trees seemingly made of blown crystal is the totally memorable experience from seeing this.

1 Like

The shuttle bus is only required on weekends right now.

1 Like