Snow and Spring Foliage #2

This is a followup image to my prior post. On 04/18/20 we had a rare mid-April snowstorm that dumped about 3 inches on eastern Massachusetts. The trees here don’t really start to bud out until around May 1st, but there were a few isolated trees that had the beginnings of buds and leaves on them. This tree was pretty chaotic with all it’s branches, but it had some of he best spring color of the few trees that I found. So I couldn’t resist going for it despite the complexity of the branches, it’s not often that I get the chance to shoot spring foliage in conditions like these.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome.

2 Likes

Real nice mix of seasons. I thought it was a fall image until I read your description. There is a lot going on, but I would call it controlled chaos and it really comes together well for me. The trunks anchor the comp and it all works. No suggestions here.

Another fantastic image of overlapping seasons, Ed! This had to be a real treat to witness and shoot in these conditions. I think you framed this one perfectly as every branch seems to be perfectly placed around the frame. I also like the fact that the branches have a dusting of snow and the DOF is spot on. Hard to pick which one I like best as both are winners.

Really nice, Ed. I love the splashes of yellow filling the scene and the branches have a nice flow throughout. The snow is icing on the cake.

Nice. Really nice. I liked the previous one but I do believe this is better. Yellow and black is a better color combination. Tree branches make fascinating compositions. Good seeing on your part. It’s not always easy to find order in chaos like this.