Spring Snowstorm

This image was taken back in late April 2020, my first time out photographing after going into pandemic lockdown in mid-March. In Massachusetts we had a very rare late April snowstorm that left about 3 inches of snow. Most of the trees were still bare without any new spring buds and leaves. But I was fortunate to find a few that were just starting to emerge. I really enjoy shooting on the edges of seasons, and was thrilled to be able capture spring foliage with a fresh snowfall.
These trees were determined to push through into spring, even though winter hadn’t decided to fully let go yet.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comment is welcome.

2 Likes

This works very well for me. The dark branches that form a “V” with the single vertical branch at their centre ground the picture compositionally. This is practically a monochrome image but the touch of yellow conveys the delight you felt when you came across this tree just starting to bloom. A very nice abstracted image that shares the spirit of your experience.

I just like the simplicity and the few colors in your image .

Wonderful job on this, Ed. I particularly like the diagonals of the V shape of the trees and their placement in the frame as it creates some visual tension. The spot of color with the yellow buds is also a nice touch in an otherwise black and white scene. I also like your f stop choice as it has thrown the BG trees slightly OOF while keeping the three main trunks with the spring growth sharp. This is a lovely presentation of the transition of seasons.

Subdued, but dynamic at the same time. The lighting and colors give it the subdued feeling, and the dark trees fanning out from the bottom give it energy. Beautiful.

Very enjoyable composition. You framed the branches curving outward as they rise, conveying to me a sense of energy or motion. The blur of the falling snow is just right against the left tree; good choice of shutter speed.
You could consider grad darkening from the lower left and right corners. Desaturating the color orange gets rid of the bright spot in lower left.

I really like this, Ed, especially the spring buds contrasting with the snowy limbs in a hint of good things to come.

It is amazing how such a scene can be portrayed as simple and clean. Maybe its the arcing tree limbs that hold it all together. Maybe it is the simplicity of just 3 tones. Whatever it is, you put it all together and it turned out really pleasing. Beautiful!

Very nice, Ed. You chose well. A great web of branches in the softer background and two larger trunk s framing the main subject. Nice color combinations…Edge of Season indeed.

Love this image. I’m glad you held back on the saturation of the yellows. Although, I think if the yellows were just a tad stronger it might work. The thing is that spring is a sort of pastel season, so pale yellows may be very appropriate. Can’t think of anything to suggest. Any crop breaks down the comp which is well balanced.

Gorgeous image. I really enjoy the mid-canopy woodland shots. They give a sense of mystery as to what lies above and below. The contrast of seasons really makes for an interesting scene. Thanks so much for sharing!

@Ed_Lowe @Kerry_Gordon @Igor_Doncov @Ben_van_der_Sande @Adam_Bolyard @Stephen_Stanton @Mark_Muller @Michael_Lowe @Dick_Knudson @Bonnie_Lampley @Kerry_Gordon

Thank you all for taking the time to comment on my image, I appreciate your input. These were very special and unique conditions, I’m glad that you enjoyed seeing it.

Nicely put Bonny, this sums up my own feelings about the image.

Igor, I will have to push the yellow saturation a little and see where that takes me, it might just work.

I really enjoy scenes that showcase contrasting seasons. This is nicely done. The “W” shape to the trees gives structure to the image while the contrast between the buds and the snow fill the frame with goodness all around.

Thank you Brian, glad that you enjoyed the image.

If you enjoy seeing images with contrasting seasons, I recently wrote an article on this very subject for NPN, titled “Seasons on the Edge”. Here is a link in case you missed it earlier…

https://www.naturephotographers.network/seasons-on-the-edge/