Snow Day at Castor River Shut-ins, Missouri Ozarks

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any opinions on this vertical composition? I’m trying to decide if this works, or is just boring. Next time, I’ll be sure to bring waders as it is a difficult place to make a composition. Any feedback or opinions would be much appreciated.

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 5dii, 16-35mm is f4 @ 22mm, 0.6 sec, CPL filter

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Bill,

Welcome to NPN! An excellent first post. I think this is an excellent use of the near/far composition and with that, the vertical format works very well. The key is the ice-covered twig in the immediate foreground that grounds the comp. The muted shapes, tones and colors in the water are quite soothing, then the eye finishes with the winter landscape above. Well done!

Only two minor suggestions. there’s a dark rock/something on the left edge above center that I think could easily be cloned out (or perhaps cropped in from the left slightly.) Also, I’m torn about the bit of twig/ice in the extreme LRC (lower right corner); mainly cause it merges with the edge. Not a big deal or an image at all, just thought I would make now.

Welcome aboard and we hope to see more images and feel free to chime in on some images as well.

Lon

Hi Lon and thank you kindly for your thoughts. I’m excited about the new start at NPN and am really pleased by what I see so far. Hopefully, we can attract some more photographers from the “middle coast”.

I hadn’t noticed that left rock peaking in there until your mention. That should definitely be removed.

Yours,
Bill

Bill, Welcome to NPN. Glad to have another fellow midwesterner aboard! I think Lon made a few good suggestions. This scene is definitely not boring. The foreground is really nice, grabs the viewer and leads you up river into the scene. The rocks and water colors are treated very nicely.
Well done!

Hi Alan. Thank you so much for your thoughts. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Very interesting colors - different that what we see here in California. I like them. And a good use of the color changes, also. The cooler green receded from the warmer red in the foreground, pulls me into the frame. The only thing that catches my eye for critique are the tiny bit of dark rock on the left and the twigs bottom right. The bottom right ones I find quite distracting. I’m looking forward to more “middle coast” photos!