Something's Fishy

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

An in-camera blur of migrating salmon on the Rogue River. They are wall to wall when at peak. . The lower images are definitely “fishy” with blurs of tails and bodies.
Nothing but NR/minor sharpening done here.
The greens and yellow are reflected trees from the shore.

Specific Feedback

all thoughts welcome

Technical Details

Model: NIKON D300
18-200 at 20mm
Exposure Time: 0.33 sec
F Number: f/16
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 1600
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Metering Mode: Multi-segment
Exposure Bias: 0.33 EV

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Very cool abstract, Sandy. I never would have guessed the fish aspect of it if you hadn’t mentioned it. The forms of the salmon work very well with the ripples in the river here.

Sandy: Very cool. Well conceived and executed. Most excellent. >=)>

Hi Sandy, welcome to the NPN community! Great having you here.

Love your image and title! Technically this is a solid image with good tonal balance and colors. The image also excels aesthetically with great gesture marks and impressions.

My only minor suggestions would be to perfom some edge patrol and perhaps clone out any bright areas near the edge of the frame.

Welcome back to NPN, Sandy. This is well seen and well done. The amount of blur combined with the elongated fish bodies gives a great sense of motion. I could see brightening it a bit (with the exception of the brightest brights) to give it a bit more zip (if that’s your thing). Here’s what I’m thinking (slight S curve in ACR, put a radial gradient over that fuzzier area frame right to increase the contrast there, darkened the really bright bits):

thanks for the suggestions - will try them when there is time…