Sooty Grouse Hen

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

She walked in front the car on my way home, then flew into the forest. Fortunately, had my camera with me. It was very dark - I though she would just be a shadow in the trees. I’ve been waiting for years to get an image of this bird. I hear them all the time around my home. Exciting!

Specific Feedback

Any suggestions welcome.

Technical Details

Z9, Z100-400 with 1.4X TC
ISO 8000, F/8, 1/500 sec
Exposure and color adjustment in LRC. Noise redction LRC, minimal sharpening in PS and lots of distraction removal as well.

Exciting indeed, and you caught her well exposed on the branch. The only small suggestion I’d make is to clone out the thin pair of diagonal branches to the left of her head - I find they distract a bit. Perhaps the broken bough could be cropped out too, as it’s a real close-up. But, all told, lovely.

Thank you Mike. I will work on those two thin branches.

Dan

1 Like

Great job getting a very elusive bird, Dan. I don’t know if you cropped this, but it feels pretty tight for my taste. Judging by the eye, the focus looks good, but I do think some sharpening would be helpful as it doesn’t come across as being really crisp-I think due to the noise reduction for the high iso. the cleanup you did doesn’t show to my eye, so a good job on that aspect as well.

Nice catch Daniel and good job on removing the distractions. To my eye, the bird looks sharp where it needs to be. The relatively close crop looks good to me too especially since I imagine anything wider would be adding distractions. Nice frame.

How wonderful to capture something you have waited years to photograph! I am viewing the second post without the two little branches and am quite satisfied with the details, especially given the challenges of the light. I think you have found a nice balance in composition, detail, colour, and focus on the subject (rather than background distractions). Well done! I hope more changes come your way.

Thank you Robena. I will be looking for the male. I hear them drumming but have never seen one.

Hi Dan,

Lucky you. Looks sharp enough to me and I like the composition. Nice diagonal perch.

Allen