On Watch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This one goes back almost a month which is about the last time I’ve managed to get out. I was out on our local prairie preserve to prepare for an event and went early enough to do some driving around. A pair of Ospreys had decided a power pole at the entrance to the preserve would be a good place to build a nest (despite having 5 empty nest platforms on the preserve). I checked it on the way in and didn’t see them present, but driving down the perimeter road there was one on this old snag in the distance. I liked the shape of the snag and the light, so I decided to keep the bird small in the frame.

Specific Feedback

When I processed this, I considered removing the branches coming in on the lower left that don’t support the bird, but to me they felt like they helped balance the image. I’d be interesting in how others react to them.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, I can’t recall how I supported the camera-either from the truck window or with a monopod. F/9, 1/2000, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4544x3895. Taken May 9th at 7:19 AM.

3 Likes

Very pleasing small in the frame image, with excellent IQ and some subtle interest in the sky. Definitely keep all the branches – they point to the bird and provide visual balance.

Nice one Dennis. The stark branches add to the image and give a sense of place. The BG with some clouds adds another level of interest. Well done.

You capture both the bird’s environment and detail well. I find this more effective than if you had cropped more to enlarge the osprey. Nice perch and sharpness also. The softly scattered light around the frame also enhances the image. You have posted a nice lesson in bird photography.