Spring Display

Revised

Taken a few months ago during my spring trip to GSMNP. The goal was to capture the emergence of spring. I spent a bunch of time along the creeks and streams but found some time in the mountains as well.

Specific Feedback Requested

This was a long exposure (30 seconds) taken after sunset. I learned this technique from Alex Noriega and some of his videos on processing where he talks about the light just after sunset. The concern, if you can call it that, is that the image doesn’t really look like it was taken after sunset…Is that an issue. I generally like the composition and the subject, but the processing is where I’m confused. Don’t get me wrong, I like that too, just wondering if there is a different direction I should have gone.

Thanks!

Technical Details

David, it is not apparent to me that this was taken after sunset. Not sure that matters, tbh. But the colors in this picture are glorious. The purple of the dead trees in the background intermixed with the green trees is quite unique. It makes the perfect backdrop for the lighter version of the same shades in the foreground. I think you have the perfect amount of grass in the foreground as well. This is some nice work.

@David_Mullin Thank you for checking it out. I appreciate the kind words!

1 Like

David, I really like this scene of spring. Well done. I do wonder if the far trees color could be toned down some and what that might change in the feel of the image. The trees in various stages of spring bloom/leaf are wonderful.

I was going to make the same comment. I think the hue of the background trees is a bit overpowering, almost too purple. I think if you could use a lum mask targeting that color and then tone it down, it might work - also maybe even darken it a bit. Just my own thoughts. Great seeing you here, David!

Here is an updated version. That one of my concerns as well @David_Bostock and @Matt_Payne so thank you for confirming that! Thanks for checking it out! I Tried desaturating it a bit, I almost think I could go further with that. I also tried to remove some of the color shift, maybe could bring a touch of the purple back…

1 Like

David,

I too never would have guessed so long after sunset! Certainly will need to keep this in the tool bag for future use!

The light - and even the highlights in the forest are amazing! No doubt this would have been impossible to see momentarily with the eye, but again amazing to see how the light is gathered over a longer exposure time. Very cool.

I would concur with toning down the color/sat of the bg trees/mountainside. I guess one of the side effects of the longer exposure would be reciprocity (or whatever happens like when film is exposed for long periods…)

Not a big deal, but I’ve gone ahead and tried to play with this. I just made the saturation changes globally and then masked out with a soft brush on the forest itself. Also, let the desaturation happen with the anchoring field of grass. Tough call there too - I think the grass does anchor and cutting off is too close to those blossoming trees would be detrimental.

Great job with this one! Now it’s easy to be a backseat driver, but if it were possible, there are some terrific intimate shots of just the trees by either zooming in, or walking in. But easy to say after the fact - I wasn’t there!

Lon

The revision looks way better, man!

A beautiful image that just screams “spring” to me! Oh, and I really like what you’ve done with the reworked image. :blush:

David, the revised image looks great to me with more balanced colors. I think you captured the emergence of spring well in this image. Good to see your post here as well.

@Matt_Payne @Tom_Nevesely @Alfredo_Mora Thank you all for checking it out and the feedback!