Spring is in the Air

The ice melted on this Korean lake 3 days ago. Yesterday a flock of 80 Mandarin Ducks had flown in to enjoy the sunshine and prepare for the breeding season. This mating lasted 12 seconds; the male is perhaps being gallant by keeping his mate’s head dry, but I suspect he’s also holding on to her head to maintain balance, having fallen off once!

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

What do you think about the cropping? I wanted to convey the impression of the pair being in a world of their own, so left them plenty of space in the shot - and I also liked the colours and patterns in the water.

Technical Details

D500 +150-600mm (@600mm) 1/1000 f6.3 ISO 1000 +1 EV

Topaz Denoise, PS Shadows, Highlights and Curves.

2 Likes

Fantastic capture, Mike. And yes, absolutely gorgeous colors and action! In the “if it were mine category,” I might play a bit with toning down the water highlights, as they are quite bright, at least for me. Love how the colors of the water are reflected in the birds and the crop works, as you indicated, to give the pair plenty of room.

Linda said it all very well. I love the colours!

Well that was very kind of you to leave them with plenty of space like that, but then you posted in on the internet for the WHOLE WORLD TO SEE…or…well… 30 or 40 people on NPN (but potentially, THE WHOLE WORLD!).

Just…nevermind

Tis a lovely intimate scene with lots of neat and colorful patterns as you have already said.

I like the colors in the reflection as they compliment the colors of the male quite nicely.

Can’t wait to see more of S Korea from you perspective, Mike! :slight_smile:

Thanks, @linda_mellor. I’ve replaced the original with a toned down version - and I think it’s improved it, especially the blue sky reflections.

Thanks, @Robena.Sirett - I’ve made those colours a bit more contrasty.

Thank you @Merv. I’m expecting a knock on the door soon with an Invasion of Privacy subpoena!I’ve altered the colours a bit above.

Good behavioral shot. The water colors work well with the drake.