Spring Roots

Spring roots beneath the water make for rather interesting scenes. I’ve been going back to my favorite creek, post-fire, to see what’s new and just enjoy the water. A lot has been sanded in (from post-fire erosion), but there are spots where things are exposed. I had rented a 90mm macro lens, and didn’t have a polarizer for it, so I was just experimenting with light reflections off the water.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique welcome. I tried b&w, but it just didn’t work. This is about the color - green vs. red.

Technical Details

a7r3, 90mm, f/11, 1/50s, ISO 1250, hand held.

1 Like

I really like the two layer image here, Bonnie. The first layer is the interesting light and swirls of the water. The second layer is the underneath foliage. My eyes jump back and forth between layers and it’s a great juxtaposition. Well done.

Fascinating nature abstract Bonnie. I especially like the patterns of the reflected highlights - I guess a good thing you didn’t have that polarizer!

I too like the red/green combo, all tied together with the brighter ripple patterns.

My only though for any alternative would be a slight crop off the left. I say because the red vegetation is a little less abstract (closer to the surface?) and detracts ever so slightly from the abstract nature you’ve seen and captured. I do like the square ratio, so that means sacrificing top/bottom a little. Also, and the beauty of these abstracts - there is no right/wrong - I wonder about rotation options? I’m sure you’ve explored.

As always, you have a great eye and knack for seeing and capturing these natural abstracts! Well done!

Lon

Another wonderful water abstract Bonnie. I like the diagonal flow and ripples of light.

Thanks, @David_Bostock, @Lon_Overacker, and @Eva_McDermott for your thoughts.

That’s a good point on the abstracted-ness of the roots. I have more with different views, both more and less abstract. I was liking the bits that looked more in focus vs. the OOF bits. I think that’s always a challenge in making abstracts - how much “reality” to show. I’ll keep this in mind as I go back through these.

1 Like