Roots

These was a image I just took a few months ago during a long walk.
It was that kind of photo “you have to take a photo in such a long walk”. I did, and let it rest on my hard drive…
but its being growing on me. I start to like very much this image. It sure has a number of flasws, but, hey, i kind of like it

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D7100
nikon 18-105

just clone a lot of branches and leaves from the water

I can see the attraction in this nice intimate scene. Shorelines like this this can be chaotic, but I think you did a good job of simplifying this down to a few key elements. The roots are very eye-catching, their curves are interesting. And making the water very dark helps accentuate the shapes of the roots.

I think showing the symmetry of the full reflection works fine. I think another valid interpretation would be to crop away about half of the reflection. i like how that places more emphasis on the roots themselves.

The reflection disappearing into the dark is a nice touch; I like how the dark frames the bottom of the image. I think removing that bottom leaf would help with that effect. In the top half, the branch and greenery are the stars for me. You might darken the other elements to let them stand out a bit more. Here’s a crude example:

1 Like

I really enjoy the subtly of the image. You did a great job of picking out a unique subject that would normally get passed up! I think the reflections of the roots and the leaves on the water work really well to pull the eye into the scene.

My only suggestion would be to slightly darken down the leaves in the top left corner of the frame, I find my eye drifting out of the frame in that corner.

This image of a quiet scene is very pleasant to me. The symmetry of the reflected branches and the contrast of the floating leaves with those on the plant both attract me.
The reflection portion of the image is what draws my emotions more than the upper part. I would desaturate the greens and maybe saturate the yellow floating leaves.
Another possibility is to crop out most of the top, and convey the remarkable reflection. That would be my favorite.

Thank you all for your nice comments and suggestions .