Squeezing Through The Gap

This is an important reminder of how privileged I am. I began taking pictures not so long ago because of the remote locations my wife and I were able to explore. If we see another person in the course of a month in the backcountry, it comes as a surprise rather than an expectation. But then I remember, even forty or fifty years ago when I spent the decade travelling and camping around the United States and how crowded the parks like Yosemite, Yellowstone and Bryce Canyon were, even then.

To me the problem with tripod holes is not so much that there are often a lot of people around (though that is a problem). Rather it’s that it’s harder to be creative at finding new compositions, because it’s so easy to get lazy, and just fall into the classic view. I mostly shoot at places that aren’t well known, it’s more of a creative challenge for me, and lets me put my own stamp on a place. But with this shot the conditions were too spectacular to pass up.

The fact that you had to ask what a tripod hole is, shows how fortunate you are to be able to go to where you do.