Morning Light

No snow yet here in MD so I will back track a little and post one from our October outing to NH and ME. This sunrise was from Sugar Hill looking out over the White Mountains. This area is know as “Sunset Hill”; and rightfully so; but it can produce some wonderful sunrise images as well. The colors in the sky were lovely, but I really enjoyed the little bit of light illuminating some of the colorful autumn foliage. As always thanks for taking a moment to look and share a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 135 mm, f 18 @ 0.5 sec, ISO 100, CPL, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Beautiful, Ed, Every time when I see images like yours I try to find out how ,for myself. I am learning and learning on NPN. Especially by reading the comments. Thank you Ed.

1 Like

Gorgeous colors and I love the soft lighting. My brain wants to see more of the trees in the foreground and a bit less sky up top. Not sure if that was even possible from your shooting location, I just think the trees with the color make for a great main foreground subject with the mountains in the middle and sky for a final layered BG.

Great colors and sky, but like @Keith_Flood, I find myself wanting to see more of the foreground trees. Not sure if that was possible from your vantage point.

Ed, this location is the gift that keeps giving. Having shot here with @Ed_McGuirk I understand the foreground challenges. I might turn this into a pano crop with less of the upper sky, just my 2 cents.
The shadows and colors look really nice to me!

@Ed_Lowe I agree with Alan, I have often struggled with how to avoid having the foreground appear to be too cut off in this location. If you move in closer to the trees, you lose perspective on the distant mountains. And if you go wider the increased foreground @Harley_Goldman is looking for just doesn’t exist, since the trees end just below where you cropped here. This doesn’t stop me from continuing to shoot here though :smile:

I like Alan’s suggestion to crop some away from the top, I would crop just above the dark band on the right. It would make it appear that the trees take up more space in the image, and perhaps balance the composition a bit better.

In terms of processing, I love how the sky and distant mountains look, they have a nice soft look. But the deep black point in the foreground trees in the LRC looks a little too much to me, i would try lifting the black point on the foreground trees only.

Ed, this is quite the mix with all of the subdued colors in the distance and the layers in the sky. The foreground ridge certainly pops, with its extra touch of light, which makes for a dramatic scene.

Beautiful, Ed. The rich but not overly saturated color palette is very appealing. Processing looks good to my eye. I could see taking some off the top as I don’t see the upper portion adding a lot to the image.

Many thanks @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Keith_Flood, @Harley_Goldman, @Alan_Kreyger, @Ed_McGuirk, @Mark_Seaver and @Dave_Dillemuth for your thoughts and suggestions; always appreciated. Here is a repost with some cropping of the sky and I added a little canvas to the bottom to make the tree line appear taller.
@Ben_van_der_Sande: Thanks for the kind words; I always enjoy your woodland images as you do a wonderful job of showcasing the trees in some magical lighting. I have always found the photographers on NPN to be a wonderful group of folks willing to share their expertise.
@Alan_Kreyger, @Ed_McGuirk and @Dave_Dillemuth : Thanks for the crop suggestion. I originally had planned to do that but changed my mind at the last minute. I wish I had because the crop looks better. It is a fantastic place to catch a sunrise or sunset and I always enjoy the location even with the limited tree line.
@Keith_Flood and @Harley_Goldman: The tree line stopped pretty close to where I composed with an empty field at it’s edge. I added a little canvas along the bottom to help with your suggestion.

1 Like

Quite the tapestry Ed! Some good comments above. My only thought would be opening those darkest trees just a bit if possible. (Not much though.)

Ed,

Beautiful sky and I like the layering of the landscape. Ditto the comments on wishing more foreground - but totally get the constraints on location. So, I think your reposted crop works quite nicely; not only reducing some sky, but I think by compressing the vertical a little, it also lessens need or feel for more space at the bottom. If that makes sense.

Processing, I could see dropping the contrast in those bottom trees by a hair, but as always that’s in the personal choice category.

Lon

Great shot Ed, esp the repost. That light at the bottom is fantastic. I must have been sleeping, cause I don’t have any with that light :sleepy:

Ed, I agree with most of the comments here on this superb image. I would crop as @Ed_McGuirk recommended. Wonderful shot. larry

Thanks for your thoughts guys @John_Williams, @Lon_Overacker, @Michael_Lowe and @Larry_Greenbaum; always appreciated. It is a wonderful location to shoot even though the treeline is a little limiting for FG. I added a little bit of canvas on the repost, but if I ever make a print I will add a little more.