Sweet Light

Mike and I were witness to an amazing display of light this particular evening while shooting in Sugar Hill, NH. The sun was setting behind us when all of a sudden this beautiful warm light started to bathe the landscape before us with this lovely warm glow. A photography group was off shooting something else before seeing what we were doing and they hurried over to join us. I can not imagine the light being any better for sunset than this!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 100 mm, f 14 @ 1/8 sec, ISO 100, MLU, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
5 Likes

Hey @Ed_Lowe.
The autumn color palette makes a great combination with the warm light on those BG mountains and the clouds.

I am a bit divided on the composition. Part of me would like to see more of the FG but that cloud formation it’s a important subject, and it’s amazing too, ahah.

For me, this image is a excellent representation of what a great view landscape shot is all about.
Thanks for sharing,
Cheers

I love this sky (all of the image as well). The lack of sunset drama here is very welcome. There is something peaceful and benign here. A time to exhale. I believe it’s all those horizontal lines and lack of strong contrast. Nice work.

Beautiful scene, Ed. I have a bit of the same conflict as @João_Ferrão, in that the foreground color is so nice I would like to see more. Your comp still works quite well, but I do get that yearning. The sky is a great display and you captured the scene really well.

Oh my, it does not get much better than this :+1::+1::+1:

Also looks like a good night to have been at Pondicherry as well.

I agree with @Igor_Doncov, it’s the low contrast processing here that allows the subtle twilight colors to come through so nicely. You have nailed the processing of the alpenglow IMO, it has an understated beauty that would be overwhelmed with more contrast.

Maybe @Alan_Kreyger and I should have tried to meet up with you after all, LOL. If you don’t mind my asking, what date was this taken? We had a really nice sunset (but different) at Sugar Hill on 10/13, which I’m sure one of us will post at some point.

Ed, I agree the light could not be better and this scene displays that beautifully. As @Ed_McGuirk mentions we had a wonderful sunset on 10/13. I am guessing correctly that this one may have been on 10/11?

Ed, a gorgeous view from this vantage point. I’m envious of this wonderful cloud cover being perfect for this particular very colorful scene. Glad to see you and Mike were both out and about and able to take this all in. As well as capture it to share with us here on NPN too…:sunglasses:

Outstanding, Ed. That was some beautiful light. Love everything about this. From the autumnal colors to the great clouds. The layeering in this image is top notch. You have the FG trees, the hills, the mountains and then those great clouds.
:vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute:

Nice lighting and excellent color work well here. The colors are vibrant but delicate and they produce a relaxing atmosphere to the scene as noticed by the other observers. Well done.

You definitely had some nice light to work with! I like the distinct layers in the image. I don’t know what you had to work with at the bottom of the frame, but I do find myself wishing for more of the foreground trees (but not at the expense of the clouds).

Many thanks to everyone @João_Ferrão, @Igor_Doncov, @Harley_Goldman, @Ed_McGuirk, @Alan_Kreyger, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Michael_Lowe, @Jim_Zablotny and @Brian_Schrayer for taking the time to take a look and leave your thoughts; always appreciated.
@João_Ferrão, @Harley_Goldman and @Brian_Schrayer: I will check to see if I have any images with more FG, but I seem to remember it being more of any empty field.
@Ed_McGuirk and @Alan_Kreyger: This was taken on 10/11. It would have been nice to get together, maybe next year. Looking forward to your post from 10/13 as Mike and I left NH that morning.

Ed,

Gorgeous sky. Even though my immediate wish is for more of the fall color at the bottom - (I think we’re simply conditioned for the fall color experience…), I think you’ve done well to just tease us with the autumn trees; and I think part of that is the fact that the light is such that giving us more trees wouldn’t improve the image, I think.

I’m really enjoying the light on the mountains in the bg. I think maybe that could be enhanced if just a little? maybe.

Lon