Star Dust

This is the last cloudless sky image from our Mt. Rainier trip in October. @Steve_Kennedy , Don, and I shot the mountain as the day faded. I wanted to play with blending stars into the colors of twilight, so we stayed until they came out.

I took the vegetation images earlier, thinking there would be better shadow detail. In retrospect, I don’t think that was necessary and if I had it to do over I would have just shot everything at twilight, and then one more for the stars.

I’m still battling coma with this lens. I need to experiment with stopping down a little in the future.

1/30 sec. at f/4 and ISO 160 (9 images taken at ~6:45 p.m. blended for DOF and vegetation luminosity.)
1/13 sec. at f/4 and ISO 160 (1 image taken at ~7:30 p.m. for the color of the entire image, and the mountain and sky luminosity.)
1/10 sec. at f/4 and ISO 3200 (1 image taken at ~8:00 p.m. for the stars.)

2 Likes

I love this image. The colors are gorgeous, especially the soft pinks on the mountain. The reflection is perfectly framed by the brush in the foreground. In taking the image you positioned the camera to ensure there are no merges of the branches in the foreground with the far shoreline. I wonder if the image would be even stronger if cropped in from the right which would bring even more emphasis to the mountain? But overall, a beautifully composed and processed image!

The light may be true to the scene but it appears flat to me…

Quick edit., Darkened sky, lightened FG.

This is a lovely photo with a beautiful color palette, and I really like the perspective of this image. The reflection in the smaller pond is placed perfectly in relation to the foreground, and your blending of the 3 shots is excellent.

I agree with Dan about the flat light and really like his quick adjustments - slightly darkening the sky allowed the stars to pop a bit more, and made the sky more consistent with the reflection too.

I really like this photo. The color, framing, reflections, stars, all nicely lead my eyes around in the image. I like the idea of using stars to liven up the sky, and will have to look into your layering techniques. To my eye I think bringing a little more brightness to the fore- and mid-ground center, and darkening the sky a bit like above, might be nice. Thanks for sharing.

Now that’s a different take on a tripod hole location, on several different levels. You usually see this location shot in the early morning during summer. But the fall colors add a nice touch. I think the composition is well balanced, and I like having Rainier off-center like this.

I like the processing direction taken by @Dan_Kearl in his rework, it adds more impact to the image.

I like this John. It captures a time of day that many of us enjoy. I like the fact that you didn’t brighten up the foreground to give the image over all tonal balance but rather used the lower tones to convey the peace and stillness that precedes nightfall.

Steve, this looks lovely and peaceful. Like Igor, I think it conveys the quiet of dusk well. I was thinking that some dodging of the stars to bring them out a bit more would be good. This would also be a fine shot without the stars. The kiss of magenta on the mountain is a fine extra.