Star Trails in the Woods

A slightly lighter version

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was at a local nature area I visit each New Year’s Eve. While in the wooded area, I was shooting another scene that was very bright. When I moved my camera over to this part of the woods, suddenly all I saw was the sun hitting the reeds like this. Wasn’t sure if this is better here or in abstract.

Specific Feedback

Anyway, posting a slightly lighter version to see which reads better. I’m more inclined to go dark and have heavy blacks. But, I think seeing the lines of the trees is nice as well.

Technical Details

Canon R
ISO: 200
SS: 1/500
f/14
24mm-240mm at 141mm
Very minimal processing in PS

The second version for me – I think the greater tree detail adds a lot. Very interesting image. I love the hints of the vegetation supporting the seed heads. I could wish for a focus stack to get the closest one sharp.

I tend to favor the darker version, Patrick, though both work. Possibly half way between? For me, the out of focus grass head is too big an eye magnet and I’d be tempted to try removing it.

Oh, the lighter version for me. l love the barely visible trees. And I love the tiny light bits in the background - they look like stars. As Diane and Dennis said, that OOF foreground one is rather distracting. It’s the biggest thing in the frame but is blurry. Not sure cloning it out would work - I think that would alter the balance of the frame too much.

@Diane_Miller , @Dennis_Plank & @Bonnie_Lampley I appreciate your feedback. Since I was hand holding at the time, I didn’t try a focus stack. I was mostly only seeing the rest of the image. Though, it wasn’t until I posted it that, I too keep being drawn to the big, white blob. I think I might have found another frame that I can pull that I can clone it from. I think there is too much going on around it to just take it out completely. I’ll see what I can pull together. Thanks again for the look and thoughts.

Quite an interesting catch here Patrick, and I can just imagine them being star trails in the sky. My vote is for the “Dark Side”, to use a Star Wars term :grinning:. Agree with others about the OOF in the foreground.

So, I did this thing. I learned in PS today that I can clone from one image to another. That was pretty cool. I cloned in this version of this front reed in focus. Though, now, it looks like a big in focus blob. Anyway, with a little more time, I can figure out a way to get it a little smaller without creating a hole where it use to be. Thanks all for making me think and learn something new today!

Interesting, Patrick. I’ve increased canvas size and copied/pasted something I wanted to clone from into the empty space so I could do that, but it’s a moderately complex operation that way. I’ll have to look this up. I can’t wait to see your final version.