Stare down

I don’t do much wildlife photography usually but my wife and I recently spent a week in Denali NP and it was exhilarating trying to photograph all the different animals we saw. Most of the time the animals were too far away for me to get a decent shot but I got lucky with this caribou. I think he was a little frustrated because he wanted to cross the road and there was a line of cars in his way.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback appreciated

Technical Details

Nikon D810 w/ Tamron 100-400mm @400mm
ISO 1600, f/6.3, 1/1250

1 Like

What a dramatic and bold pose! I love the environment and how visible he is in all of it. What a rack, too. I see equipped with the anti-eye-poke device, lol. He looks to be in amazing condition, too. Lots to eat and not too much trouble with younger bulls. Super job. Don’t know what your settings were, but the sharpness and exposure look right to me. Congrats on a super photo!

Thank you Kristen! Sorry for not posting the settings, I was in a little bit of a hurry.

Wonderful setting, great antlers and beautiful pose ! I really like the diagonal placement of antlers and eye contact !
Cheers !

Thank you @JRajput !

This is an excellent capture of this Caribou, Glenn! I love the light and the way the caribou is framed by the trees. Nice detail and colors also. You really need to view this one large as it gives it much more presence, like you’re right there on the other side of the bushes! Well done! :+1:

Gorgeous – all said above!! A well-deserved EP!

I didn’t realize they had that antler structure sticking out – good face protection I guess. There are (or at least used to be, back in the old days) a similar structure ahead of the windshield of crop-dusting/spraying planes – to cut wires!

1 Like

Thank you @Diane_Miller! I didn’t realize they had antlers in front for protection either until I saw it

What a beautiful image!! The rack is so impressive, and he is staring you down. Did he manage to get people moving with the stare?

1 Like

Thank you @Martha_Montiel ! He got me moving behind a car shortly after taking this photo :slight_smile:

A good image of a male caribou. Color, details are fine. For me I would want to straighten him out a bit with a slight rotation to the left.