Stepping Out

I was attempting to shoot swallows in flight (unsuccessfully) when I heard this quail behind me and got off a few shots before it vanished in the underbrush.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 435 mm: 1/5000 at f6.3, +2/3 EV; ISO 6400

Nice job on this one, Allen. I’ve tried getting these running and failed miserably. You caught this one mid-stride with a perfect pose.

1 Like

Wow, you must have reacted quickly - great catch and I do love the pose ! Should the original have some space around the bird, that may work as well I guess - but fine as presented ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

You may have had trouble with the swallows but you sure nailed the Quail, Allen! Thanks to the swallows you already had a fast shutter dialed in so you stopped the action nicely. Exposure and colors turned out excellent also. Very nice capture!

1 Like

Excellent strutting pose. Good job on the detail and processing, especially at Iso 6400. Perhaps a bit more contrast on the bird.

1 Like

Nice catch of the quail in mid stride. I like the colors that contrast well with the bird. Image quality looks surprisingly good given that high ISO. Nice frame.

1 Like

It’s a gorgeous picture of the quail, but the processing is even more impressive at that ISO! And a great example of how luck favors the prepared!

1 Like

The details and colors of the qual are very nice. Drop the saturation of greens and yellows as the BG’s vibrance competes with the bird…Jim

1 Like

Other than what looks like some cloning/healing artifacts near the head, this is a wonderful job! So jaunty he is in mid-stride. Great work on being quick and getting the shot.

1 Like

Hi Allen
The framing and stride of the Quail, makes this a very interesting photograph. I also have problems with getting cloning to look good with out artifacts. Very nice photo.
Peter

1 Like